[SOLVED] Wifi extender with ethernet pass through

pumukly

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi there,
I have a question I couldn't find the answer anywhere....My setup:
I have a router in room A. Archer C5, latest firmware (2015). I run a cable to the nearby room B, separated by a brick wall and I connect directly to my desktop. Now I have also a console in room B in opposite corner (= not possible to connect with Ethernet cable). My 5Ghz signal is very week in room B on console, other devices (laptop...) is OK. Is there a wifi signal booster (i.e. access point), that I can place in room B and I will plug the Ethernet cable (from router in room A) and then there will be an Ethernet output which I will plug in into my desktop? And at the same time, this AP point will be boosting wifi signal in room B? This way I will still have my desktop connected via Ethernet cable only (the AP booster will act as an ethernet pass-through) and also be boosting the signal in room B.
I can not find such a device. The AP boosters have 1 LAN only. Thanks.

Solution
The IP address on the second router does not really matter much. As long as you did all the other steps to make the device into a AP it will be fine. After the router is running as a AP you only use the IP address to change the configurations.

In the future if you need to change the configuation you could just use the factory reset and start over but you could also unplug the second router from the first and change the ip on your PC manually to 192.169.2.1 and then you will be able to use the other IP. There are actually some tricky ways to actually access it with it on the network but there is little need if it is working properly.
Most AP only have one port and many are actually powered over that port. I guess that is a "feature?" of a AP.

The solution is actually very simple and likely will save you money. Just use a router as a AP. Many have the feature but you can use any router as a AP. It is trivial but you will even find youtube videos it is such a common thing.

You will have all the extra lan ports on the router to plug your pc into.

pumukly

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Done. I think I made a typo assigning a new IP address for my new router. I.e. 192.111.0 (ZERO).1 I assigned 192.111.2(TWO).100. The last digit I assigned as 100 to give it a new "assignment", but made a typo in a digit before that (I was making pictures and was surprised I made a typo...). Anyway, assigned a new name to my new network, so what I have now is 2 different networks. My ethernet cable runs through this 2nd router, it wouldn't connect my desktop to internet, but WIN10 troubleshooter automatically fixed it - some message with some gate. I can not access the 2nd router though. I connect to it with ethernet cable, wifi/lan turned off. I run ipconfig and I see the IP addy of ORIGINAL (my first) router. Not this 2nd one. Weird. So I didn't extend the wifi signal, I just have a new network. But I'll stick to this. My Xbox can see both networks, won't connect to ORIGINAL network sometimes - maybe too many devices there already?? It says restart your router...Signal is also weeker (-70 dbm). But doing so with my NEW network (signal -50 dbm), it connects. Maybe it is able to assign new devices? I don't know. Anyway, my original network has 2.4G coverage everywhere but not for the Xbox and this is now solved with new network created so I will keep it this way until it won't do what I want. And it saved me money indeed - I had an old 4G router lying around!

The IP address on the second router does not really matter much. As long as you did all the other steps to make the device into a AP it will be fine. After the router is running as a AP you only use the IP address to change the configurations.

In the future if you need to change the configuation you could just use the factory reset and start over but you could also unplug the second router from the first and change the ip on your PC manually to 192.169.2.1 and then you will be able to use the other IP. There are actually some tricky ways to actually access it with it on the network but there is little need if it is working properly.

Solution