Question wifi has low signal strength and speed

Apr 30, 2024
I just moved to a new house and set up my PC in the basement with the WIFI router 1 floor up on the main lvl. At my last house i was in the same room as the wifi and was getting around 180 mbps. I am now only getting about 19 mbps. i know that being on a different floor may be an issue but my S24 ultra is on the desk next to pc and has full strength and is getting 270mbps. We just replaced the modem and wifi router (both from charter spectrum) when we moved in. My pc is less than a year old. I have updated that BIOS and tried a wifi extender and got the exact same results with both my pc and phone. And now I'm out of ideas

Processors: Intel Core i7-13700K 16-Cores 3.4GHz (5.4GHz TurboBoost)
CPU : Thermal Compound
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI DDR5
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 (2x16GB) 5600MHz
System Cooling: iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler
System Fans: ORIGIN PC Standard Fan Kit
Graphics Cards: Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 12GB
Operating System: MS Windows 11 Home
Operating System Drive: 2TB OPC Approved Powered by Samsung
Power Supply: CORSAIR RM750 SERIES PLUS GOLD
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio
Networking: Onboard Network Port

kanewolf

Titan
I just moved to a new house and set up my PC in the basement with the WIFI router 1 floor up on the main lvl. At my last house i was in the same room as the wifi and was getting around 180 mbps. I am now only getting about 19 mbps. i know that being on a different floor may be an issue but my S24 ultra is on the desk next to pc and has full strength and is getting 270mbps. We just replaced the modem and wifi router (both from charter spectrum) when we moved in. My pc is less than a year old. I have updated that BIOS and tried a wifi extender and got the exact same results with both my pc and phone. And now I'm out of ideas

Processors: Intel Core i7-13700K 16-Cores 3.4GHz (5.4GHz TurboBoost)
CPU : Thermal Compound
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI DDR5
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 (2x16GB) 5600MHz
System Cooling: iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler
System Fans: ORIGIN PC Standard Fan Kit
Graphics Cards: Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 12GB
Operating System: MS Windows 11 Home
Operating System Drive: 2TB OPC Approved Powered by Samsung
Power Supply: CORSAIR RM750 SERIES PLUS GOLD
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio
Networking: Onboard Network Port
Have you tried folding the WIFI antennas horizontal? By default they are designed to receive signal horizontally. You want them to receive signal vertically. The tip of the antenna is a low sensitivity point.

Reactions: lantis3
Apr 30, 2024
Have you tried folding the WIFI antennas horizontal? By default they are designed to receive signal horizontally. You want them to receive signal vertically. The tip of the antenna is a low sensitivity point.I

I am not even sure where the antenna is on my pc. I looked at the mother board and did not see it, but everything looked to be in place and undamaged. there is not antenna sticking out that i can see

kanewolf

Titan
I am not even sure where the antenna is on my pc. I looked at the mother board and did not see it, but everything looked to be in place and undamaged. there is not antenna sticking out that i can see
THAT could be your first problem. If you don't have the antennas connected to the back of the motherboard, your WIFI would be poor.
The antennas may have been removed for packing. Since you say you just moved.

Reactions: lantis3