[SOLVED] Wifi has no internet when upstairs

barnyard80

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
At home, Plusnet provides my internet in the UK.

At home, on the ground floor where the router is, the wifi works fine.

When I am upstairs, I can connect to the wifi, but the internet connection stops after a few seconds. I am still connected to the wifi. And I easily disconnect/reconnect to it. However, my wifi always loses internet connection after a few seconds.

I have tried resetting my router a few times, but that has not helped.

What else could I try?

Solution
But doesn't it need to transmit when it connects? And it works for a few seconds after I connect. For example, I can connect, then download a age from Tomshardware. And then it will stop working.

Would the transmit signal be a lot stronger just after it connects?

Unfortunately I can't move the router. It is plugged into the wall.
You can always temporarily move something. You just have to get longer cords. That might mean coax or ethernet cable. But it can be done temporarily.
But it sounds like you should look into adding a powerline network adapter with WIFI -- Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Everywhere-Powerline-Dual-Band-TPL-430APK/dp/B01FXDVIHC

Ralston18

Titan
Likely weak signal strength upstairs and/or interference.

However, more information is needed:

Did wireless originally work and has just started having problems?

Do all upstairs wireless devices have the same problem or just one device in particular?

What device: pc, laptop, phone?

What wireless network adapter - USB perhaps?

Reactions: SamirD

kanewolf

Titan
At home, Plusnet provides my internet in the UK.

At home, on the ground floor where the router is, the wifi works fine.

When I am upstairs, I can connect to the wifi, but the internet connection stops after a few seconds. I am still connected to the wifi. And I easily disconnect/reconnect to it. However, my wifi always loses internet connection after a few seconds.

I have tried resetting my router a few times, but that has not helped.

What else could I try?
Your router may have a stronger signal than your device. So you may be able to receive a signal but not transmit back.

Ralston18

Titan
Easily tested.

Just temporarily relocate the router to different locations on the ground floor - start centrally located.

Then work as normal and experiment with different locations: router, cell phone, and iPhone.

Very likely that there will be some location were the cell phone's transmit strength (per @kanewolf) will be consistent enough to stay connected to some level or another.

Just a router move of a few feet may some difference.

Whether or not that new router location is viable is another matter. But at least you will know more about what is (or is not) happening.

barnyard80

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Cell phones have much less powerful radios than do routers. My description of being able to receive but not transmit would be appropriate.
But doesn't it need to transmit when it connects? And it works for a few seconds after I connect. For example, I can connect, then download a age from Tomshardware. And then it will stop working.

kanewolf

Titan

You can always temporarily move something. You just have to get longer cords. That might mean coax or ethernet cable. But it can be done temporarily.
But it sounds like you should look into adding a powerline network adapter with WIFI -- Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Everywhere-Powerline-Dual-Band-TPL-430APK/dp/B01FXDVIHC

Solution