Wifi Printer connected to a switch is not visible to the machines on the main router

lahoreia

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I have a situation where I have a router connected to cable modem. I have a wire run through that to a switch on the upper storey. This switch is really another router with disabled DHCP, and connected to main router through its LAN port. Both the router and the switch are setup as wireless access points as well. The SSID for both are kept different so as it becomes easier for me to troubleshoot, if there is any issue in connecivity. Now, I have a printer that is conected to the switch's wifi network. The issue is that this printer is seen only by the machines that are connected to the switch. Anything coming from the main router cannot see the printer at all.

To further troubleshoot the issue, I have set up fixed IP addresses for both the switch and the printer (on the main router). I also tried naming the SSIDs on both devices the same, but that also did not help.

Here are some of the details:
IP address of main router: 192.168.1.1
IP address of the switch: 192.168.1.254
IP address of the printer: 192.168.1.253

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

lahoreia

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

aha, thanks for pointing it out. I inadvertently posted it twice. I agree, lets just keep the other thread alive