[SOLVED] WiFi Slows to Less Than 1 MBPS When Certain Lights Are Turned On

Nov 19, 2019
I'm having the strangest issue with my home WiFi.

I have DSL (one of the joys of rural living) so my speeds are around 5 MBPS down and 1 MBPS up. It sucks but I deal with it.

What's driving me insane, is when certain lights in the house are turned on, the download speed drops to 0.2 MBPS! I can't figure this out.

I have narrowed it down to a ceiling fixture light in my office, and it also does it when the outdoor floodlight turns on. There are two floodlights, one on each side of the house, and the internet slows when either one turns on. To my knowledge they are on completely different wiring circuits.

I dealt with slow speeds for months before one day I noticed the speeds dropped when the outdoor spotlight turned on. The spotlights are just regular halogen bulbs, and the office light is some kind of odd halogen/LED looking thing. House was built in 1885 and has had wiring updates over the years, most recently being romex (circa 2011) and a new fusebox about a year ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For now I have the floodlights off and I work in the office with a desk lamp, but I miss the ceiling light and increased outdoor lighting, especially now that it gets dark at 430 PM.

Thanks again for any help.

Solution
The connection from your ISP is via DSL but how are you getting wifi across your house? PoE/Powerlines or a wireless router? You might also want to identify if the wiring on the DSL modem and the lights are crossed. Maybe try another wall outlet for your DSL modem.

Lutfij

Titan
The connection from your ISP is via DSL but how are you getting wifi across your house? PoE/Powerlines or a wireless router? You might also want to identify if the wiring on the DSL modem and the lights are crossed. Maybe try another wall outlet for your DSL modem.

Solution