[SOLVED] Wifi works but my ethernet does not work!

Jul 23, 2021
I was using my ethernet just fine, all of a sudden my computer crashed and I had to restart it after some random BSOD (I unplugged the WIFI adaptor and that's when it happened) after that, I had to reboot my PC in safe mode (turns out the WIFI adaptor was the culprit as it had some compatibility issues with Windows 10 so I got a new one) after rebooting my computer, my ethernet connection says "Unidentified connection" I have tried everything, updating my drivers, cmd commands, restarting my router and computer countless times, using device manager and uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver but to no avail.

Specs:

Gigabyte Motherboard - B85M-D3H
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
14 GB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - B85M-D3H
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

Solution
Does the ethernet work in safe mode with networking

The IPCONFIG command might give you a clue. Do you get ip addresses or is the port

You could try to boot a USB linux image. These run completely off the USB stick and will not affect your windows install. This mostly is to be sure the hardware is good.
Unfortunately all you will know is the hardware is good but does not tell you what windows has messed up. At some point you consider reinstall rather than to try to find it.
Jul 23, 2021
I did, it said that your ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration. But even after trying all the netsh commands and changing my IP and DNS as well as resetting my tcp/ip, it doesn't seem to work.

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time, then select Network Connections. 2) Right-click your network adapter and select Properties. When box pops up-3) Click the Install… button. -4) Select Protocol and click Add- 5) Select Reliable Multicast Protocol option and click OK to install the protocol. Restart your computer and see if internet come up.

Does the ethernet work in safe mode with networking

The IPCONFIG command might give you a clue. Do you get ip addresses or is the port

You could try to boot a USB linux image. These run completely off the USB stick and will not affect your windows install. This mostly is to be sure the hardware is good.
Unfortunately all you will know is the hardware is good but does not tell you what windows has messed up. At some point you consider reinstall rather than to try to find it.

Solution

jwent333

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time, then select Network Connections. 2) Right-click your network adapter and select Properties. When box pops up-3) Click the Install… button. -4) Select Protocol and click Add- 5) Select Reliable Multicast Protocol option and click OK to install the protocol. Restart your computer and see if internet come up.

I understand this thread is a year old and just trying to see if I can get some help.

I am having the same issue as the OP. This fix worked for one of 25 hard-wired devices on my network.

All pc's (7) are running win 11. I have several smart tv's , all hard wired, network printer and several wifi devices. I have 10 IP cameras attached to several p/o/e switches which are on the network running off a PCNVR (Blueiris).

I can see limited wifi devices in Network Explorer. Router UI shows only wifi connected devices.

My original router ( Asus ROG Rapture AC5300) stopped working, so I purchased an Asus RT-AX5700.

I connect the new router to the cable modem, the router to a 24 port
Legrand switch (DA2524) everything runs off that switch. I have 3 p.o.e switches and about 6-5 and 8 port switches off that.

Everything was running flawlessly until I woke up yesterday with a dead router (it powers on and powers right off). So I made my access point the new router and all I have is wifi connected devices.

I did change out the 24 port switch to two 8 port switches to see if that would change anything, as it did not.

I have tried cmd command that I researched on line, witched out to new patch cables, switched ports on router and switches.

Any help would be grateful.

I am a novice at all this, but willing to learn.

IPCONFIG say media disconnected. I can post an image if necessary, I am not certain if that would be a good idea.

If my whole post is confusing, it is because I am confused.