Wii U Basic Only Has 3GB of Space for Game Downloadeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
actually thats better, now you dont have to worry that im paying HUGE cash for less storage, you got your own storage B*TCH!!!!

on another note, up until this point, when i look at the exclusive line-up, im not impressed, and also i question how much multiplatform this will be, how big of a contender is it against next gen xbox or PS....

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]actually thats better, now you dont have to worry that im paying HUGE cash for less storage, you got your own storage B*TCH!!!!on another note, up until this point, when i look at the exclusive line-up, im not impressed, and also i question how much multiplatform this will be, how big of a contender is it against next gen xbox or PS....[/citation]

My PS3 has a 1TB 10,000 RPM drive in it...... this tech is about 10 years old.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]They put all their money in controllers with LCD's in them to shoot the console in the foot..... nice touch.[/citation]

Controller with a touch screen LCD meaning 1 controller with this also while it may have little storage it is flasah storage and that is not 100% cheap these days still so it is fine and the fact ya can plug in any usb 2.0 or some 3.0 HDDs you want and use it is great so why yell and scream when there is a solution right there

vitreoushumor

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]My PS3 has a 1TB 10,000 RPM drive in it...... this tech is about 10 years old.[/citation]

What "tech" is ten years old? The Velociraptor 1TB came out 7 months ago.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Who puts >30gb of space on the console unit these days..... the smallest PS3 was 40gb and that has been discontinued for how long? Xbox has always had more space than 40gb (deluxe edition). LCD's are not cheap, realtively speaking, so they put allot of money in a controller, but not the processor.

I guess the whole Wii line is about the controller with a sup par processing unit.

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]Who puts >30gb of space on the console unit these days..... the smallest PS3 was 40gb and that has been discontinued for how long? Xbox has always had more space than 40gb (deluxe edition). LCD's are not cheap, realtively speaking, so they put allot of money in a controller, but not the processor.I guess the whole Wii line is about the controller with a sup par processing unit.[/citation]
Ya heard of the 4GB Xbox??

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Nintendo will still be the most profitable in the competition, AGAIN, due to this. It is obvious that they've become Greed itself.[/citation]
As a company that has only gaming products to depend on, it would be stupid for them to loose $3bn Sony lost with their PS3 in the beggining. Also, the thing is selling at a loss, haven't you heard?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
They should just let you plug in SD for storage and that's it. Go totally bring-your-own-storage. But at least this is a step in the right direction. Makes more business sense too. Storage hardware is cheap and there is more profit to be made in digital content sales, so why put a price barrier for storage that would limit the consumers ability to purchase more digital content?

Apple is stupid in this area in that they actually put several barriers (four I can think of) that could potentially stop a consumer from purchasing more 30% pure profittable content from their ecossystem. (1) Their market price points are based on hardware storage (16,32,64GB) and the markups way outprice the diffs for equivalent SD on newegg (2) No SD slot = Oh well, my internal memory is full, can't buy any more digital content (3) No replaceable battery, when device won't hold a charge, it might be time to switch to Android (4) forced obselescence, let consumers update old devices = more sales in the app store.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
hehe i remember the time i had a ps3 the first thing i did, got myself i SSD 40gig man it loaded so fast war hawk the only game i still miss i got in to the game 3~4 faster and you could play instantly no matter how full the game got i always got my pic of vehicle first : )

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Ravyu[/nom]As a company that has only gaming products to depend on, it would be stupid for them to loose $3bn Sony lost with their PS3 in the beggining. Also, the thing is selling at a loss, haven't you heard?[/citation]
Nobody sells at a lost. If those statements were true then the companies would have big legal trouble.

G

@Filiprino: "Nobody sells at a lost. If those statements were true then the companies would have big legal trouble."

Why must you talk about things in which you have no idea or understanding?

[citation][nom]Filiprino[/nom]Nobody sells at a lost. If those statements were true then the companies would have big legal trouble.[/citation]
Nintendo is the only company that has not (until now) sold at a loss on hardware during launch. Console companies rely on game sales to make killer profits over time. Also, material costs go down over time, so while the console sells at a loss in the beginning, it is pretty much all profit at the end of the cycle 5-8 years later. Plus you have the over priced accessories which also help recover the cost of the initial losses.

But yes, if the console flops, while selling at a loss, then you do get in big trouble. That is pretty much what has killed every failed console company. Great hardware, at a discount, without a robust developer support means that you sell lots of hardware that you lose money on, and then never sell any games so you have to close up shop. Sony and MS have done well at this to the point where Nintendo is giving this a try, but it has not ended so well for other companies like Sega.

The PS3 had a bill of materials of ~$850 when it was initially released, and that same console now only costs ~$150 to produce, while eating much less power, making less noise due to less cooling requirements, and having a much smaller form factor. This is a perfectly normal hardware cycle.

[citation][nom]vitreoushumor[/nom]What "tech" is ten years old? The Velociraptor 1TB came out 7 months ago.[/citation]
10K drives have been is servers for some 15+ years. Velociraptor drives may be the popular ones, but small 10K and 15K drives have been around forever if you knew where to look... though that speed at 1TB is a bit newer than 10 years, but still a lot older than the Velociraptor.

[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]While I would prefer flash memory for the speed increase, that's pretty sweet you can plug in your own hard drive for game installs![/citation]
HDDs are way faster than flash storage. HDDs can read/write at speeds much faster than USB2 can allow (~25MB/s), meanwhile most flash media only reads at ~5-12MB/s, though the high speed class 10+ cards are coming down in price finally.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Filiprino[/nom]Nobody sells at a lost. If those statements were true then the companies would have big legal trouble.[/citation]
Game console companies do sell the consoles at a loss in order to sell more of them and make their money back in games and other services, I'm pretty sure it's been this way for a long time now. Most all lower to mid end printers are sold at a loss as well and they make their money on ink cartridges, this is why you can get a printer for $20 but the refills cost $70.

[citation][nom]vitreoushumor[/nom]What "tech" is ten years old? The Velociraptor 1TB came out 7 months ago.[/citation]

EDIT:Actually re-reading your post, that may be an excellent question. I know that 10KRPM drives aren't anything new, but how many of them are 1TB models from more than a year or two ago. Especially considering that I don't think that we had much of any 1TB hard drives a whole seven years ago (10KRPM or not), so I'm questioning the legitimacy of that member who claims to have put a 1TB 10KRPM hard drive in a PS3 seven years ago. Heck, even if they were around, it'd have been an incredibly expensive hard drive, at least about as expensive as the console was seven years ago. I can't see much good reason to put such a hard drive in a console at the time.

yeesh

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Uhh... Where have you been for the last many years? Only the new, current generation VelociRaptors came out this year, there have been other generations of them over the years. It's a fairly old brand name for hard drives at this point.[/citation]
By that logic there's nothing new about 8k Ultra HD screens because I've had the same monitors sitting on my desk for more than a decade now, just at a much lower resolution. The specifics matter, and saying 1TB 10k is ten year old tech was an overreach.

[citation][nom]yeesh[/nom]By that logic there's nothing new about 8k Ultra HD screens because I've had the same monitors sitting on my desk for more than a decade now, just at a much lower resolution. The specifics matter, and saying 1TB 10k is ten year old tech was an overreach.[/citation]

No, it's nothing like that and I never said that new models don't have anything new, I simply said that old models do exist. Furthermore, I corrected myself on that I don't think that we even had a 1TB VelociRapter seven years ago, let alone one that wasn't at least about as expensive as the console would have been.

Also, comparing an old 10KRPM 1TB hard drive to a new one is more like comparing an old 21" 1080p monitor to a new 21" 1080p monitor. It's nothing like your example which focuses only on one variable whereas there are two in my example like there are two things that we knew about the drive in question, 1TB and 10KRPM. We can also assume that their physical size is pretty much the same too, so we might even include a third variable in the monitor example such as that they both must be 120Hz or IPS displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.