Wii U Pro Controller Not Compatible With Wii Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
That thing is seriously ugly, and who is going to look at a controller when your playing on a large TV; excluding the fact that it looks uncomfortable to handle.

Seems like another gimmick to me, even if it sells a ton like the original Wii.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]EDOGAWA[/nom]That thing is seriously ugly, and who is going to look at a controller when your playing on a large TV; excluding the fact that it looks uncomfortable to handle. Seems like another gimmick to me, even if it sells a ton like the original Wii.[/citation]

lots of people will be looking at it as well as the TV as games are designed for it and make use of it with many good features also games liek Zombie U it adds tention to the game
Another use for the 1.1 LB GP if you w atch all the videos is work out very well and also the fact you can then switch the game to the GP if you wish while someone else does somthing else on the big screen the gimmick in the system is that it works well and already proven so by game developers who are more then thrilled with what the system and the GP can do

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]lots of people will be looking at it as well as the TV as games are designed for it and make use of it with many good features also games liek Zombie U it adds tention to the game Another use for the 1.1 LB GP if you w atch all the videos is work out very well and also the fact you can then switch the game to the GP if you wish while someone else does somthing else on the big screen the gimmick in the system is that it works well and already proven so by game developers who are more then thrilled with what the system and the GP can do and none of them find it a cheap gimmick or a gimick at all as it allows them to take there vision further and bringing you more in to that vision as a gamer dont forget all the other uses it will have like Nintendo TVii [/citation]

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]EDOGAWA[/nom]That thing is seriously ugly, and who is going to look at a controller when your playing on a large TV; excluding the fact that it looks uncomfortable to handle. Seems like another gimmick to me, even if it sells a ton like the original Wii.[/citation]

it is comfortable, its been sad by everyone who has had hands on, and isnt a 1 system to rule them all fanboy that it feals good.

as for who will look at it. think of all the games people play and not whatever stupid idea you have for how it works. i assume you are thinking that mid combo in a devil may cry like game you will need to look at the pad, press the screen and than back to the tv.

think of it like taking the mini map off the tv and on the pad, i dont know about everyone, but look at borderlands 2 minimap, that is to small for my taste, hell most diablo like games (torchlight, titan quest) i end up making the minimap a screen overlay map instead because of how small they are, and how little they show that way. with a second screen the minimap

or lets go over to a game where switching things on the fly is necessary, i want you to think zelda oot, where a pause was necessary, or hell, most games where a pause is necessary. in zelda, you could easily switch between the 20+ items you have with a simple touch instead of pause, menu scroll with the sticks, so on so forth.

or with a fps, granted i would hate playing them on a console, but lets go this way.

assult weapon, it plugs into a gun like peripheral, and locks the tablet at the end, and give you controls were you should hold the gun for aiming. because the tablet can tell direction and angle, just imagine that, you look down the gun barrel to see a screen, there is your iron sites, your scope, ect, move it to the side a bit and you have tv for from the hip.

really am i the only one who posts here who can imagine this working good?
granted it all up to devs to use it and make it good, but am i the only person who has imagination here?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]so you can only play with two controllers max? not 4 like the old one? that's a turnoff for me ; and I was considering getting one of those consoles[/citation]
I think 5 is the limit, 1-2 tablets, and 3-4 Wii-motes.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]I think 5 is the limit, 1-2 tablets, and 3-4 Wii-motes.[/citation]

okay so the limit mentioned here is merely the amount of controllers with display ? that's much more reasonable.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
There are three controllers for the Wii U, I wonder how many will be incompatible with how many games. Ie Nintendoland requires a Wii Motion Plus remote already, which does not come with the U. Any motion game will require that too so the Pro controller and maybe the gamepad are out. So maybe you will need separate remotes for your friends playing and a separate Pro controller for FPS games if you want that, which sucks. Even if games are compatible with all of them some advantage and disadvantage will be introduced.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Stupid that they didn't make it backwards compatible with the old wii controllers. Kind of a shyster move.

At least the new controller is only $20.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
The controller being discussed is not (currently) pictured above. It looks like a standard black gamepad. @beardguy: The OLD controller is $20, not the new one.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Nintendo needs to stop focusing so dang hard on trying to come up with the next fracking gimmick and focus on the core gaming experience.

I learned my lesson with the Wii and wont be buying any more Nintendo crap. My entire family, including kids, got tired of the motion gimmick pretty fast and then realized that the games for the console sucked.

Nintendo loves this gimmick crap because then they tie everything into accessories for your gimmick to generate additional revenue.

My forecast for Wii U is going to be a huge failure.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I preordered one of these guys. Why? Because unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo likes to push the boundaries. Sony and Microsoft will sell you pixels you'll never notice, Nintendo sells you an experience. I'd like to see what this tablet controller can do. Plus I've already got a bunch of Wii stuff that I can carry over to the Wii U, which I'm sure most other people have too.

Before you bash the thing remember this, in the months up to it's release people predicted the failure of the original Wii. It outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined until just recently.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Let's clarify you guys are all over the place. The controller they are talking about (Wii U Pro Controller) in this article is not required for any of the games at all. It's OPTIONAL for those who want a regular controller that looks more standard like the xbox and/or playstation. Pictured here http://cdn.slimgamer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Wii-U-Pro-Controller1.jpg
The Wii U also is backward compatible with the Wii-remote/Wii-remote plus and nunchuk that was used with the original Wii. Some games require it for multiplayer. The Wii U gamepad (one with the screen) can do everything the OPTIONAL Wii U Pro Controller does, so you don't need it. It's the same as the Wii U Gamepad, but without the screen, cameras and the associated functions that screen provides.

EDIT:
Tom's article is also wrong. The Wii Classic Controller/Pro (pictured here http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452033569e20120a4f4bace970b-800wi ) is NOT REQUIRED to play old Wii games, just as it was never required to play any Wii games. It too was also an OPTION for those who wanted a standard looking controller and not all Wii games actually supported the Wii Classic Controller/Pro. You can play all your old Wii games using the Wii-Remote and/or nunchuk if required (not all games uses the nunchuk).

Seriously Tom's the Wii's been out for a really long time, how can you not even know this. Get a Console expert on board!!!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Really a pessimistic way to spin it to make Nintendo look bad. Some people would consider it a plus that you can use the old controllers with the new system. If you just want to start off by playing a few Wii games, you wouldn't have to buy the new Pro controller. Personally I'd rather just have less devices sitting around for various games.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]remember when people complained about how big the original xbox controller was? this thing makes that controller look normal in size.[/citation]

I remember how ridiculous the n64 controller was. It still worked fairly well.

By this point, people like you must be plugging your ears or something because multiple uses for a second screen that benefit actual gameplay have been tossed out. It isn't a new idea considering the DS has been utilizing a second screen for gameplay for years. Who's going to look at a second screen? Who actually stares nonstop at the screen to begin with? You're supposed to look away once in awhile and probably do so without thinking. I'd personally rather look down at a screen and get menu options displayed in real time rather than having to pull up a menu on the main screen.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Nintendo is just hampered by the fact that as a company, they have all of their eggs in one basket. They are forced to use outdated hardware so they can stay profitable. They introduce a butt-load of controllers to maximize accessory profit, and their touchscreen controller is underpowered for the asking price. Point-blank, the novelty wears off quickly. My 4 kids (ages 5-12) went from using the 360 and Wii equally at first, to using the Wii only if the 360 was unavailable, to using the Wii as a door-stop.

You need to reread what I said. I said who would use a second screen while using a large TV. For a DS is makes sense because the screens are small and close together.

For a large TV you have plenty of room for HUDs and menus. When you're playing too, you would have to look down towards your hands a lot to check the status of things, unproductive. It would be like looking at keys while typing, it's slow and unproductive when your doing something .

This controller reminds me of the game gear too, it wasn't the most comfortable thing to hold while playing due to it's design so I'm betting it's going to be similar.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Stupid that they didn't make it backwards compatible with the old wii controllers. Kind of a shyster move. At least the new controller is only $20.[/citation]

All your Old Wii motes and Wii controllers of any kind work on the Wii U Nintendo has made that very clear since E3 this year

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]bigdog44[/nom]Nintendo is just hampered by the fact that as a company, they have all of their eggs in one basket. They are forced to use outdated hardware so they can stay profitable. They introduce a butt-load of controllers to maximize accessory profit, and their touchscreen controller is underpowered for the asking price. Point-blank, the novelty wears off quickly. My 4 kids (ages 5-12) went from using the 360 and Wii equally at first, to using the Wii only if the 360 was unavailable, to using the Wii as a door-stop.[/citation]

Yes so 4+ years older GPU hardware is outdated Sure.... the Wii U uses a much newer Power based CPU running at slower coock speed then the 360 but is still faster per clock The Wii U has 2GB of system ram compared to the 360s 512mb of ram the Wii U has 1gb of the 2GB just for games the Wii U is siad now to be using a 6xxx series AMD HD radeon card that also been confrimed to have GPGPU functions

The Wii U console is smaller then the orginal Wii and yet has more power in every aspect then the 360 or PS3

So please Tell me how the Wii U is last generation tech and how it is Nintendo is forced to use Non exixtant outdated hardware as you assume to maximize profit. the Wii U does not use outdated hardware get that through your damn skull do your research .

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So if I wanted to take full advantage of the Wii U, I would need to own at least 2 of the tablet/controllers, 2 of the Pro controllers and 2 of the classic controllers. And that's if you only want a max of 2 people playing. Six controllers for 2 people to play on the system is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.