WikiLeaks Docs Reveal How The CIA Targets Windows Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I guess it would mean something if it affected a modern system. But I guess they don't care to target modern systems. They are taking a look at the buffoon (in Yemen) that runs Windows XP or Windows 7 on a Core 2 Duo because "Windows 10 sux". There's another reason to join the rest of us in the 21st Century.

Nothing surprising here, in fact I kind of expected that the government was doing these things. I'm actually glad to see that they are re-purposing existing software instead of wasting a bunch of money to come up with their own that is just a duplicate of what is already there.

cordes85

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
its just hte same as every week there is an update on your iphone and when you look at what is the update you just get '(bug fixes)' how many bugs can there be, everytime my computer, phone or anything goes slow i know its not because of the components, i just type on the keynpsrd 'gchq or nsa can you stop spying' cant they do it at sleep time when i wont care?!

troy_38

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

Enjoy them rubles.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

They only leak what they allow you to know ... but the big deal is threatening world leaders to stay in place or Wiki leaks will expose their secrets without USA being a suspect :)

and the other more important thing , once people trust wiki leaks ? they can tell any Lie they wish and people will believe it ...

want to bet?

let me ask you , where are the "leaks" about 911 ? or about "Israel" ?

alextheblue

Distinguished

Judging by the recurring posts I see on Windows/Microsoft articles, I think you'll find a vocal few actually have no idea this might be the case. Nay, some might even be offended at the deepest level by the mere suggestion that Win10 might be more secure than an out of date Win7 install. There could be protests and rioting if you keep up this written violence. Some even postulate that the updates in 10 are secretly ways to better spy on you.

Nevermind the fact that there are levels to which you can dial down telemetry (even the useful kind) and disable digital assistants. With a little tweaking you can even disable all the telemetry/logging - even the most harmless basic Win9x-era offline userland logging. Just run Spy Disabler. It's practically a paranoid person's dream. Then I don't have to read the same posts about a subset of the telemetry Google has been collecting (and selling) for a decade.

Speaking of which, with Android the only way to shut that stuff down would be to cook a custom ROM or use a trusted one that might be good... and with iOS good luck.

ndaU504

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Somewhat we sh'ldn't be worried about insecurity; the CIA and MS and Google and the WLeaks are all the same. We are all vulnerable and insecure already.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Anyone else think it's weird that the most positive news organization for Trump is WikiLeaks. Trump says something, MSM says it's utterly ridiculous, WikiLeaks reveals it's true.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
um

Don't worry, all the car makers with whom we spoke assured us that you probably won't be killed by hackers

we at ford what to inform you that through vulnerabilities in our system, you could be killed by hackers

yea, they would never say that, they even have IN THEIR BUDGETS money that there for settlements because its cheaper to just settle cases for a million or so dollars then let people know there is cause for a recall.

Our investigation confirmed that the information released on April 7 does not impact modern systems. For the best defense against security threats, we recommend Windows 10, which is updated automatically by default.

Bite me microsoft, you have been trying to tell me that windows 10 is better for what over a year now, of course you are going to tell me that its better, hell if you could legally get away with pushing an encryption malware that encrypted everything and the only way to remove it was install 10 you would have done it already.

and why is 10 more secure then 7 or prior? Probably because the cia doesn't need to install anything, they just need to ask microsoft for the files. The only way I would ever consider touching 10 is if I have a condom on the os, and at that point i'm using arch linux to vm 10 and disallow all internet communication.

tune in in 3-5 years where everything I said gets leaked as true.

Nei1

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
> I'm actually glad to see that they are re-purposing existing software instead of wasting a bunch of money to come up with their own that is just a duplicate of what is already there

I might recommend reading some articles critical of "domestic spying." The main theme is along of the line of: We're all treated as if we're guilty -- being surveilled, privacy intruded upon, and it becomes a significant problem "even if you're not guilty of anything" when the government is tending fascistic, or just generally recognized as acting on the behalf of big-money interests over "the little guy." Remember the 1% problem? They're not getting our money by playing fairly, and the gov't is an accomplice. Is that the system that you're willing to shrug your shoulders and say "I'm not guilty, so why should I care if they monitor my communications?"

What i was referring to and only to was that they are not wasting more of our money to duplicate these programs. Yes, they are spying on us as if we are all guilty and but at least they aren't wasting even more money doing it than they already are. Think about it, with the way out government works, it would probably cost $5 million or more to develop one of these spying programs. The government bloat is out of control. I can tell you from experience that the government VASTLY overpays for everything.

I realize that information is power and I think it's disgusting that the government thinks it's ok to spy on everyone and everything. Unfortunately, President Trump hasn't gotten to fixing that part yet, but I'm hoping he corrects this soon. He's got a lot on his plate to fix right now. Might be next year before he can get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.