Will 2 RAID-0 hard drives run a laptops CD game faster than 1 non RAID drive?

Solution
if I understand you correctly, and you run the CD game off your hdd, then YES, it will LOAD approximately double the speed. But it may not RUN faster because it depends on CPU, RAM and graphics card.

So, RAID 0 --> faster load time
RAID 0 --x will not increase fps and stuff like that

hope that helps :)

firephoenix

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
if I understand you correctly, and you run the CD game off your hdd, then YES, it will LOAD approximately double the speed. But it may not RUN faster because it depends on CPU, RAM and graphics card.

So, RAID 0 --> faster load time
RAID 0 --x will not increase fps and stuff like that

hope that helps :)

Solution
He means a CD game installed to the hard drive..

I agree with the above. Faster hard drives mainly affect only loading times for a game. The better a game is coded, the less often it needs to load. Ideally a game would buffer the next level in System RAM before you get to it (then delete the level you left).

There are a few games (mainly older ones) that have frequent level loads during a game but these are getting rare. Note, it's also possible that level loads will be more frequent if you are low on System RAM (less than 2GB depending on the game).

ADVICE:
Ignore RAID0 and get the best single hard drive in your need/budget.

Rickie Lee

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Thank-you a million for answering, am just getting into gaming and am finding out how much I DON'T know. I asked the question cause I just ordered from Dell : Alienware M17x, Intel® Core™2 Duo T9800 2.93GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB) Processor, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M, 1GB Graphics Card, 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz Ram, 320GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive. What I am still unclear on is if I should change the order to the two 160 GB drives in RAID-0 config or just leave it at the single 320. The games I enjoy are all mostly flying games.

Rickie Lee

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Thanks: but being new, am unsure how (I really want to) load my Cd games onto HDD instead of running off the CD??

Rickie Lee

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Thanks, I know now I have SOOO much to learn.

matt7777

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

For weeks, I have been trying to decide to if I should use RAID0 or a single HD for my flight simulator games (MS FSX/Acceleration, MS Combat Flight Simulator 1,2,3) I think I will not use RAID0. I decided to get a 300GB VelociRaptor (the fastest hard drive) to hold my operating systems (Windows 7-64 and Windows XP-32 in a dual boot) and applications, and use my Western Digital Caviar Blue 640MB for storing Excel, Word, Music, Movies and all the other junk.

Rickie Lee

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Hey Matt7777:

This is really a confusing topic, I have tried multiple forums, many reviews and continuosly seem to hear that RAID will somehow magically speed things up but am having a GREAT deal od difficulty in getting practical and real-life examples or advice. Hope u end up less confused than I still am.
Thanks for answering.
See ya,