[SOLVED] Will a 144hz monitor still sync if you are getting 100fps below?

skyrim13

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
I am utterly confused. If I have a 144hz monitor but my system can only run a game below 100fps, will I still get a 144hz refresh rate?

For example, I ran a benchmark on AC Odyssey and the average fps is 60-70 fps, will I still get a 144hz refresh rate on the display? I don't quite get the general rule of it.

Should I get a 144hz or just a 75hz monitor? I can only aim for a 1080p variant.

My specs are:
Ryzen 5 2600 (not OCd)
MSI B450M Mortar Max
G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x 8GB 3200MHz (using XMP profile)
MSI RX 5600 XT Gaming M X (not OCd)
Corsair CV550 550W

Solution
Old ones! Every freesynch mmonitor is gsynch compatible.
Your definition of old must not match up with others, as Acer's Predator X27 bmiphzx was a 2018 model and has no FreeSync support.

EDIT: Okay something more recent, Alienware has a GSync monitor with no FreeSync support as far as people have found: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...1dw/apd/210-axvg/monitors-monitor-accessories

Anyway, this is getting kind of silly, but either way, you cannot say "every 144Hz monitor has FreeSync support" yet.
If you have 144Hz monitor and you enable freesynch (amd) or Gsynch (nvidia), the monitor will adjust it refresh as perfect as possible untill 144Hz...
Your monitor will do his best to synch your framerate to the framerate given by the card until 144Hz ...above that 144Hz it will no longer be synched properly.
Untill 144Hz (depends on the quality of the monitor) it will do it's best to limit tearing of the picture ( a lot of today's games can cap the framerate to 144Hz)
Go for 144Hz but ...its not only about refresh rate... it depends on the Panel of the monitor and other things....color saturation...and so on.
Basically if you're not too picky and you play a lot of games go for 144Hz (it doesn't matter if you achieve lower fps) any time of the day...but you should check reviews to pick the best 144Hz for your budged.

skyrim13

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
If you have 144Hz monitor and you enable freesynch (amd) or Gsynch (nvidia), the monitor will adjust it refresh as perfect as possible untill 144Hz...
Your monitor will do his best to synch your framerate to the framerate given by the card until 144Hz ...above that 144Hz it will no longer be synched properly.
Untill 144Hz (depends on the quality of the monitor) it will do it's best to limit tearing of the picture ( a lot of today's games can cap the framerate to 144Hz)
Go for 144Hz but ...its not only about refresh rate... it depends on the Panel of the monitor and other things....color saturation...and so on.
Basically if you're not too picky and you play a lot of games go for 144Hz (it doesn't matter if you achieve lower fps) any time of the day...but you should check reviews to pick the best 144Hz for your budged.

I apologise if this is confusing, the simplest term I can say this is, if I am playing a videogame and it only states 70fps, will the refresh rate be the same as the fps, which is 70hz?

I apologise if this is confusing, the simplest term I can say this is, if I am playing a videogame and it only states 70fps, will the refresh rate be the same as the fps, which is 70hz?
Just buy 144Hz... there is nothing to lose it will work perfectly if you have 20-30-40-50-60-70 fps or 144fps (it will work untill 144Hz) ...and in the future if you buy better GPU you can enjoy higher refresh rate. It will synch any fps to the refresh rate of your monitor (until 144Hz).

skyrim13

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Just buy 144Hz... there is nothing to lose it will work perfectly if you have 20-30-40-50-60-70 fps or 144fps (it will work untill 144Hz) ...and in the future if you buy better GPU you can enjoy higher refresh rate. It will synch any fps to the refresh rate of your monitor (until 144Hz).

Thank you. I think I get it now, the monitor will adjust its refresh rate on how much the GPU gives it, but not exceeding 144hz?

Old ones! Every freesynch mmonitor is gsynch compatible.
Your definition of old must not match up with others, as Acer's Predator X27 bmiphzx was a 2018 model and has no FreeSync support.

EDIT: Okay something more recent, Alienware has a GSync monitor with no FreeSync support as far as people have found: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...1dw/apd/210-axvg/monitors-monitor-accessories

Anyway, this is getting kind of silly, but either way, you cannot say "every 144Hz monitor has FreeSync support" yet.

Last edited:
Solution