[SOLVED] Will a 450 Wattage run a RX 5700

Dec 25, 2019
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
PSU: Evga 450 wattage Bronze +80
RAM: Corsair RGB Pro 16GB
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Steel Legend

Can my PSU with a RX 5700 have enough watts to run my system?

Solution
No. You want a HIGH QUALITY 500w or higher unit. If it's a mediocre power supply, not a very good quality one, it probably should be more like 650w.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

If that were a very good unit like a Capstone M or Seasonic Focus Gold 450w, then maaaybe, but even then, I'd prefer to see 50-100w more for safety and headroom for spikes and protections. 500w should be minimum for a good unit. 650w for a mediocre one.
No. You want a HIGH QUALITY 500w or higher unit. If it's a mediocre power supply, not a very good quality one, it probably should be more like 650w.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

If that were a very good unit like a Capstone M or Seasonic Focus Gold 450w, then maaaybe, but even then, I'd prefer to see 50-100w more for safety and headroom for spikes and protections. 500w should be minimum for a good unit. 650w for a mediocre one.

Solution
Dude you've posted like what 3 or 4 threads? On the other hand, you seem like you are a younger kid, and I get that. I remember how excited I always was about new hardware and new games. I'm 39 and am still into computers and parts.

Looking at EVGA's power meter calculator, 450 is the lowest they recommend with that system. I saw a review of that power supply on here on Toms and they show it to be 3 of 5 stars.

On EVGA's own power calculator though, if your CPU was overclocked, they recommended a 550.

In other words, it might work, but to me you are very much going to be borderline with your power supply. The RX 5700 is a 300 dollar card. I would consider to save and try to get a better power supply to be safe. If you aren't able to do that, but want an upgrade right now, I would suggest looking at a new power supply and something like a GTX 1660 super.

Something like this.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gv-n166soc-6gd/p/N82E16814932224

I'll let some of the other guys who are better about power supplies weigh in, but this should be ok for a power supply and give you a little room for future upgrades.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx650-650w/p/N82E16817139200

I just can't personally say I recommend a 300 dollar card on your 450 watt. If that power supply dies, you may fry your entire system. I've killed parts of a motherboard before because I was cheap on a power supply. Don't do that. You would be very upset if you buy a new card and fry your new card along with the rest of your system over a 40 dollar power supply.

Apparently newegg is out of these, but someone else may have one.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151095

Seasonics are usually known to be great. I think they have a better name than Corsair, but the Corsair above should be safe and allow you a better card than the 1660 super later on when you eventually upgrade again.

Reactions: hakimul.islam
You don't want those M12II or S12II (520w or 620w flavors. Or to recommend them) unless there are no other "good" options available to you. The reason is that they are older group regulated platforms that lack some modern protections and don't work well with some Intel platforms. It's do-able with this system, because it is not an Intel platform but there are likely other, better, options available for the same or not that much more than those M12II and S12II units.

Yes, they are "ok". Yes, they "used" to be considered pretty good. I have several. I have no problem running them in just about any system that needs one temporarily but unless I was unable to get something better that is DC-DC and has more modern protections, I probably wouldn't run one of them as my daily driver unless it was not a critical system/build.

They shouldn't be strictly "avoided", but you should look for something better, and more modern, when possible. In SOME regions, those M12II / S12II units WILL be about the best thing available and in those cases, there is no reason to avoid them. For most regions though there will be some other, better options that are priced reasonably close to the M12II / S12II's. The S12III's, should probably just be avoided. Period. They are not even assembled in house by Seasonic but are instead farmed out to a third tier manufacturer.

Good to know. Was trying to go through another post I have bookmarked hence why I didn't recommend the sIII units. Can't say I've actually purchased seasonic before.

Even though I'm a tech, usually was on a budget for my own stuff, and if a lot of systems are dell optiplex systems in the office for example, it's not like they are using systems that would need beefier power supplies.

I got to where I went by weight of the unit, and if they were by someone like Corsair, antec, EVGA, etc. Though didn't care for thermaltake power supplies. But did a lot of shopping at Microcenter down the road here. You walk in and you probably have seen how many power supplies there are to choose from. Even when you're someone who has a reasonable idea what unit you think you want, there are so many choices and you can't always tell by looking at them. Maybe a reason I always like to over buy a bit on wattage and amp rating to be safe.

Guess something else to study to add to my head haha.

If you stick to what I've recommended at the following link, then, while not covering EVERY unit out there that might be worth using, you will at least make recommendations for good units that are available to most people in 80-90% of the countries worldwide.

More importantly, you will get a feel for what to avoid. It's not ALL encompassing, but it's a really good square one.

On the graphics card, I would say either get the 5700 or look at the 1660 super. Skip the 1660ti altogether.

The reason I linked the one specifically up above is because the RX 5700 will cost you about 300 dollars. But if wanted, you could get a card like the 1660 super like above.

That card is only about 3-5% slower than the 1660ti, but only costs $230. So my thinking was if you had 300, you could get that card now, and get the power supply now also. But then you'd have a decent power supply for let's say 2 years down the road when you're ready to upgrade again you shouldn't have to worry as much about your power supply.

Here are the cards to think on in my mind

1660 super --not quite as glamorous as the 5700, but very very close to being equal with the 1660ti.

1660ti --- skip this card altogether unless there is a massive sale for under 230 dollars.

5600xt --- this card should run about 280, but will give you much of the performance of the 5700.

5700 ---should be very fast.

You currently have what, a gtx 1050? I would say even if you went for the 1660 super, the 1660 super would be MASSIVE upgrade over your 1050. There is really no comparison there. To put it in perspective, the 1660 super basically are equal in performance to a gtx 1070.

To put that in perspective, there are 4 cards between your 1050 and a 1070. So even the 1660 super is like when you bought your 1050, buying 4 tiers above that.

That said, I've got no problem if you want to save for the 5700. Just letting you know why I offered the other option. To be honest, I just got a 1660 super. I used to have a Vega 56 card that I liked very much but sold at one point. I tried going back and using an rx 580 I got used, but just wanted better performance. I probably could have gotten a 5700 or 5600xt, but just didn't want to spend 280 or 300 at the time.

But as I said, I'm into hardware etc, and still enjoy when new video cards come out etc. You don't want the experience of a shiny new graphics card, and then your power supply goes out and fries your new card and maybe your system. I have personally messed up new motherboards because of using lower tier power supplies. You don't want to do that.

Dec 25, 2019
On the graphics card, I would say either get the 5700 or look at the 1660 super. Skip the 1660ti altogether.

The reason I linked the one specifically up above is because the RX 5700 will cost you about 300 dollars. But if wanted, you could get a card like the 1660 super like above.

That card is only about 3-5% slower than the 1660ti, but only costs $230. So my thinking was if you had 300, you could get that card now, and get the power supply now also. But then you'd have a decent power supply for let's say 2 years down the road when you're ready to upgrade again you shouldn't have to worry as much about your power supply.

Here are the cards to think on in my mind

1660 super --not quite as glamorous as the 5700, but very very close to being equal with the 1660ti.

1660ti --- skip this card altogether unless there is a massive sale for under 230 dollars.

5600xt --- this card should run about 280, but will give you much of the performance of the 5700.

5700 ---should be very fast.

You currently have what, a gtx 1050? I would say even if you went for the 1660 super, the 1660 super would be MASSIVE upgrade over your 1050. There is really no comparison there. To put it in perspective, the 1660 super basically are equal in performance to a gtx 1070.

To put that in perspective, there are 4 cards between your 1050 and a 1070. So even the 1660 super is like when you bought your 1050, buying 4 tiers above that.

That said, I've got no problem if you want to save for the 5700. Just letting you know why I offered the other option. To be honest, I just got a 1660 super. I used to have a Vega 56 card that I liked very much but sold at one point. I tried going back and using an rx 580 I got used, but just wanted better performance. I probably could have gotten a 5700 or 5600xt, but just didn't want to spend 280 or 300 at the time.

But as I said, I'm into hardware etc, and still enjoy when new video cards come out etc. You don't want the experience of a shiny new graphics card, and then your power supply goes out and fries your new card and maybe your system. I have personally messed up new motherboards because of using lower tier power supplies. You don't want to do that.

I think the CX series are in the OK range. In other words, they aren't bad, but there are better options as well. For the money I think it will be fine.

Here's a review of the 750 CX modular

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/09/12/corsair-cx750m-v2-power-supply/

Basically, they aren't a high end unit, but should be good enough to work. But if you have the extra money, there are better options out there. Just if you go with a CX series make sure it's the grey label.

If you stick to what I've recommended at the following link, then, while not covering EVERY unit out there that might be worth using, you will at least make recommendations for good units that are available to most people in 80-90% of the countries worldwide.

More importantly, you will get a feel for what to avoid. It's not ALL encompassing, but it's a really good square one.

If you read through his post from above, part way down the page he gives a synopsis of each brand and what series were OK or good. So that should give you a shopping guide. But on a budget, I'd be ok with the corsair for my system. Just don't try to run dual cards or like a 2080ti on it.

In the list, he says the CX models are passable. In other words, they aren't as good as some of the best units, but they should be fine on a budget.

I'm good with hardware and have built multiple computers over the years, just learning more about power supplies. But seeing the CX is passable should mean it's decent. I've used Corsair power supplies in the past and they ran for years without issues typically.

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
these models are under $100, Antec neo eco 650 bronze, Gamdias KRATOS P1 650G 80+ Gold , Antec HCG 650Gold full modular
Still Corsair is a brand decent enough and is very reliable. but you can't get gold ones of corsair under $100. Corsair usually do not make gold/platinum ones if not high wattage like 750W, 850W, 1000W or more.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019
In the list, he says the CX models are passable. In other words, they aren't as good as some of the best units, but they should be fine on a budget.

I'm good with hardware and have built multiple computers over the years, just learning more about power supplies. But seeing the CX is passable should mean it's decent. I've used Corsair power supplies in the past and they ran for years without issues typically.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
these models are under $100, Antec neo eco 650 bronze, Gamdias KRATOS P1 650G 80+ Gold , Antec HCG 650Gold full modular
From what I was able to find:
-The Neo Eco bronze is actually worse than the CX: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1100995-corsair-cx-650-2017-non-modular-or-antec-neo-eco-650/
-I can't find anything on the Kratos model - the search kept pulling up Astrape stuff instead... but I did find that those units are made by Andyson, which doesn't have a good reputation concerning psu quality.
-Couldn't find any reviews on the HCG 650w specifically: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-high-current-gamer-850w-psu,5578.html (850w review)
They both were made by the same OEM: Seasonic. But, there may be some QC issues going by the above review...

So 2, or perhaps all 3 are actually worse than the CX...