Will a $500 AM2 5000+ be the chip to beat?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichPLS

Champion
One would have to be delusional to believe the fx-62 will be priced at $350. Even the fx-55 is around $600 still. Just think logically for one second what a $350 fx-62 would do to AMD's pricing structure. $50 x2 3800s?
Yeah but, logically thinking, what good would be for AMD a 1000$ enthusiast CPU collecting dust on the shelves due to lack of enthusiasts' interest?
Please dont say that AMD fanboys would buy it anyway, cause most of them only dream about such CPUs, and they buy x2 3800 instead...
If AMD can't price the FX CPUs competitively, then it should recall them from the market, completely.
Same goes for the x2 3800.
The situation for Intel is different, since they can leverage their market position and contracts with OEMs and big retail chains to get rid of the worthless PentiumDs..

AMD is essentially withdrawing quite a few chips from production, like the 2x1MB versions, due partly to production costs to high to market them today, and additional heat generated from extra transistors...

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Yes, and i feel the 4x4 initiative might be some kind of marketing gimmick to keep a premium on the FX line..
I'm not sure what exactly are they going to do with it, but if the performance is again enthusiast level (at least on some applications), then they might really try to lock the platform for FX only CPUs..
Of course, they still won't be sold for 1000$, cause nobody would be willing to spend 2000+ for a platform able to run at the top only a few applications, but at 500-600$ per FX-62, there might still be a market..

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Ummmmmm Heat has nothing to do with it. 2X1024 chips are going where the money is, that's in Servers. So, they put as many of them into that market as possible to make as much money as possible. To produce high volumes of cheap chips, it's lowering production costs and having to hire out another foundry that's going to "help" AMD. As far as FX-62 goes, I see them placing it at $811, where the secondary FX used to be, and counting on their momentum to sell a few of them. They can cross over the Opterons to FX-62's whenever supply gets low, but I don't see that happening.

ivan_lee05

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Stop living in this the world exists in a benchmark at 800x600 fantasy.

But if AMD came out with a really fast processor you would be touting it's 800x600 marks and how they spanked Intel.

Stop being a FanBoy.

So your also joining the, "Conroe is so powerful you shouldn't buy it" camp with Mad Mod Mike?

Sad.

baron was owned again and again and again and again....

the Intel's Core2Quad is not yet release..... those C2Q kentsfield @ xtremesystems are an ES.. processors has revision. and we don't know what would happen if a C2Q kentsfield was revised...

remember... Woodcrest core has 1333Mhz Dual Independent Bus. running @ total of 21.3GB/s. Hypertransport 3.0 is 2600Mhz only @ 20.8GB/s

intel has the power, technology to put multiple busses for their multi-core. so the bottlenecking was ended..

posibility: Intel Core2Quad Kentsfield with 1066 Quad-Independent Busses.. a total of 34GB/s

RichPLS

Champion
AMD is essentially withdrawing quite a few chips from production, like the 2x1MB versions, due partly to production costs to high to market them today, and additional heat generated from extra transistors...

Ummmmmm Heat has nothing to do with it. 2X1024 chips are going where the money is, that's in Servers. So, they put as many of them into that market as possible to make as much money as possible. To produce high volumes of cheap chips, it's lowering production costs and having to hire out another foundry that's going to "help" AMD. As far as FX-62 goes, I see them placing it at $811, where the secondary FX used to be, and counting on their momentum to sell a few of them. They can cross over the Opterons to FX-62's whenever supply gets low, but I don't see that happening.

Removing cache certainly does require less power thus less heat, and yes part of the reason AMD did this was to lower production costs and reduce heat of their chips to compete with Conroe.

Robteam70

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
One would have to be delusional to believe the fx-62 will be priced at $350. Even the fx-55 is around $600 still. Just think logically for one second what a $350 fx-62 would do to AMD's pricing structure. $50 x2 3800s?
Yeah but, logically thinking, what good would be for AMD a 1000$ enthusiast CPU collecting dust on the shelves due to lack of enthusiasts' interest?
Please dont say that AMD fanboys would buy it anyway, cause most of them only dream about such CPUs, and they buy x2 3800 instead...
If AMD can't price the FX CPUs competitively, then it should recall them from the market, completely.
Same goes for the x2 3800.
The situation for Intel is different, since they can leverage their market position and contracts with OEMs and big retail chains to get rid of the worthless PentiumDs..

Well I'm not saying that AMD won't cut the price of the fx-62, just that the chances of it to going down to $350 are not good. And I do believe that it will still sell when priced at $800-$1000 dollars. Not nearly as well as it did before conroe, but it will still sell, for awhile at least. There are plenty of uninformed buyers out there that do not research before they buy. They heard, maybe a month ago from somebdy, that AMD was the best for gaming so they buy AMD.

Remember, Intel sold Pentiun EE chips through retail channels well enough even though it was inferior to the fx-60. Of course, what the fx-60 did to the Pentium EE is nothing compared to what the Core 2 EE does to the fx-62.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The benchmarks are strating o trickle in and the Core 2 seem sto be living up to early marks, though th e6700 gives as good an experinence as the 6800 in real world tests. Tests only clocked the 6800 to 3.46 but it shows a slight improvement per clock.

The surprise is the $700 (currently) AM2 5000+ which has stolen the thunder of the 939 FX60 stealing wins in several benches though slower in others.

If AMD includes this in their price drops and knocks off 30% off the price, it wiould put in well within range of the 6700 for price/perf. An Extreme OC of this from VooDooPC would be a powerful box.

Sorry but no....

Tom's article says the $314 2.4 ghz E6600 is about 6% faster than an FX62, and overclocks like hell...

This makes the FX62 a $299 part in my book...

Now AMD will never sell FX62s at $299, but if your objective and not a fanboy, that is what they are worth....

AM2-5000 thus need to sell at $249... and that ain't gonna happen either...

AMD has enough fanboys to buy overpriced chips till the get their 65 nano working right...

Just like Intel had enough fanboys to by Prescotts to keep the doors open till Core arrived..

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I disagree. I think htey cancelled 1MB X2 to concentrate on lowering prices of FX. If all 1MB chips 4000+, 4400+, 4800+ are made into FX they can drop the price to midway betweeen the average costs of those processors and the current cost of FX. FX62 at $800 is still a great deal.

I'm still leaning towards the 5000+ though. If It's $400 like Anand said, you will be hearing about my new chip soon.

clairvoyant129

Distinguished
May 27, 2006

I disagree. I think htey cancelled 1MB X2 to concentrate on lowering prices of FX. If all 1MB chips 4000+, 4400+, 4800+ are made into FX they can drop the price to midway betweeen the average costs of those processors and the current cost of FX. FX62 at $800 is still a great deal.

I'm still leaning towards the 5000+ though. If It's $400 like Anand said, you will be hearing about my new chip soon.\

Why would you believe Anand? I thought that site was a paid Intel pumper? Didn't your little god Sharikou (PhD in garbage collecting) tell you that?

I bet if I asked you if I should upgrade my FX-55 to an E6600/6700, you would tell me to get a X2 4400+.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
The 5000+ will not be $500.
Time and time again I tell you people and you just dont listen.

I don't have to listen because I agree with you 100%. The technology sector is often quirky about how products are marketed and priced but the rules of free market capitalism still apply. Even if AMD's profits plunge and it goes back in the red, it will be worth it in the end. AMD just needs to get moving with 65nm so they can lower the cost of production.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Stop living in this the world exists in a benchmark at 800x600 fantasy.

But if AMD came out with a really fast processor you would be touting it's 800x600 marks and how they spanked Intel.

Stop being a FanBoy.

So your also joining the, "Conroe is so powerful you shouldn't buy it" camp with Mad Mod Mike?

Sad.

baron was owned again and again and again and again....

the Intel's Core2Quad is not yet release..... those C2Q kentsfield @ xtremesystems are an ES.. processors has revision. and we don't know what would happen if a C2Q kentsfield was revised...

remember... Woodcrest core has 1333Mhz Dual Independent Bus. running @ total of 21.3GB/s. Hypertransport 3.0 is 2600Mhz only @ 20.8GB/s

intel has the power, technology to put multiple busses for their multi-core. so the bottlenecking was ended..

posibility: Intel Core2Quad Kentsfield with 1066 Quad-Independent Busses.. a total of 34GB/s

Please dont 3rd person me, it's disrespectful. AMD had quad in their roadmap in 2003 when Opteron CAME OUT.

K8 quad will do some awesome things. Core 2 has the lead right now but so it only means AMD can LOSE BIG FOR 2 YEARS. I don't think it will take that long. 65nm will qualify in Oct/Nov and the FX64 is 90nm which means that's where all those 1MB chips went.

IF they were going to sell them for $400-600, it means they can sell ALL of them as FX60, FX62, and FX64 for $600-800. As 65nm, 4x4, quad K8, BullDozer, and K8L ramp with Torrenza, AMD will more than likely be back on top. Not because of FSBs or anything but because K8 is a much better starting point than P3/P4.

I give it until mid-Q107. I think that whoever wants to buy Core 2 should and whoever wants to buy AM2 should. You Intel fans should know what it's like to back the loser. You've been doing it for 2 years. I get 2 years too.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I give it until mid-Q107. I think that whoever wants to buy Core 2 should and whoever wants to buy AM2 should. You Intel fans should know what it's like to back the loser. You've been doing it for 2 years. I get 2 years too.

Very true. But, if the cogs in my brain still function, that means you have until Q3 08 to wait. Which, looking at most recent predictions, mightn't be too far off the truth.
Synergy6

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
You Intel fans should know what it's like to back the loser. You've been doing it for 2 years. I get 2 years too.
BaronBS admits he is AMD fanboy! It is amazing how stupid a fanboy can be, he will suffer 2 years becouse his brand rival will have better CPU.
Anyway, nobody can stop BaronBS to post BS on THG! He has the right to choose and he decided to flame all AMD non-fanboys!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I'm still leaning towards the 5000+ though. If It's $400 like Anand said, you will be hearing about my new chip soon.\

Why would you believe Anand? I thought that site was a paid Intel pumper? Didn't your little god Sharikou (PhD in garbage collecting) tell you that?

I bet if I asked you if I should upgrade my FX-55 to an E6600/6700, you would tell me to get a X2 4400+.

I don't "believe " anyone, I take what people say and make my own conclusions. I'm usually right. I said a long time ago that the specs and first tests on Core 2 not only indicated superiority but "RHT." Since it's a base CPU function, it can't be named, only the parts of it.

Smart Cache
MacroOp fusion
Shared cache
wider decode

I posted very early this year that it would be cool if X2 went dual socket for devs that don't need a server chip. I think it was on VooDooPC blog.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You Intel fans should know what it's like to back the loser. You've been doing it for 2 years. I get 2 years too.
BaronBS admits he is AMD fanboy! It is amazing how stupid a fanboy can be, he will suffer 2 years becouse his brand rival will have better CPU.
Anyway, nobody can stop BaronBS to post BS on THG! He has the right to choose and he decided to flame all AMD non-fanboys!

I PREFER AMD. I'm only a fanboy of hot coffee. Switching to Intel means learning a whole new BIOS and all new product types(mobos). I don't have time. My 4400+ is ~30% slower than 5000+ so it is an UPGRADE. So I won't have bragging righs. I never have. I have a PC that fits my needs.

Everyone should and all this back and forth will never change anyone's mind. People who buy Chrysler don't buy Ford.

PERIOD. Capitalism says I can choose. I choose AMD. Core 2 won't be upgraded ARCHITECTUALLY until 2008. AMD has at least 3 new product upgrades before then - K8 Quad, BullDozer, K8L. All will be compatible with current sockets so a drop in replacement may yield up to 40% above K8.

Or imagine an integer/fp coProc........ 8O

Hector are you listening?

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I PREFER AMD. I'm only a fanboy of hot coffee. Switching to Intel means learning a whole new BIOS and all new product types(mobos). I don't have time.

LOL! it would actually take less time than you have spent typing BS in this thread! Please just stop posting BS already!

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Why is BS your only argument?
Becouse you only post BS. Whenever someone proves you are wrong, you come back with another BS, sometimes with BS-ty arguments without clues from BS-ty sources like the_INQ.
I offer even conversation based on what is floating around in roadmaps.
You offer just boring biased BS-ty arguing. Your representing of the BS is selective to BS that is pro AMD.

You have to admit that AMD is doing more to enhance their ENTIRE platform, not just get a faster CPU.
The way you are BS-ing ppl is you are claiming that they said something, they never did. You are looking after points that doesn't exist. You are jumping from OT to another unrelated OT. You are full of $hit.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
If you check out NewEgg, they've got some nice free combo deals with AMD processors. I believe if you buy one of the FX series, you get a choice of 17" LCD, 1gb memory, motherboard, a 320gb hard drive or an mp3 player for free. They're trying to move those bad boys out before the Conroes come.

Wow, that's a deal. I need a new LCD.

Poser.
And A Life!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The benchmarks are strating o trickle in and the Core 2 seem sto be living up to early marks, though th e6700 gives as good an experinence as the 6800 in real world tests. Tests only clocked the 6800 to 3.46 but it shows a slight improvement per clock.

The surprise is the $700 (currently) AM2 5000+ which has stolen the thunder of the 939 FX60 stealing wins in several benches though slower in others.

If AMD includes this in their price drops and knocks off 30% off the price, it wiould put in well within range of the 6700 for price/perf. An Extreme OC of this from VooDooPC would be a powerful box.

How is your logic working?

Most of the data is showing a E6600 meeting or beating a FX-62 -- this means an 5000+ would need to go to the 240-250. To be price/performance beating.

This ain't gonna happen=

AM2 has A LOT more mobos than Core 2. Some are SLI for UNDER $140 (Abit on Newegg). System price concerns the whole system not just the CPU. I believe 5000+ will be in the first wave of 65nm so the 90nm chips can take a loss. Anand quoted $403 down from $696.

AMD has momentum. P4 WILL slow adoption of Core 2 or cause Intel to sell 965EE for about a buck. Let's not forget the millions of NetBust chips htey still have to sell.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
AM2 has A LOT more mobos than Core 2. Some are SLI for UNDER $140 (Abit on Newegg). System price concerns the whole system not just the CPU. I believe 5000+ will be in the first wave of 65nm so the 90nm chips can take a loss. Anand quoted $403 down from $696.

AMD has momentum. P4 WILL slow adoption of Core 2 or cause Intel to sell 965EE for about a buck. Let's not forget the millions of NetBust chips htey still have to sell.
STOP THE BS! Can you pls?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

I'm still leaning towards the 5000+ though. If It's $400 like Anand said, you will be hearing about my new chip soon.

Really what the hell is wrong with you, they need to increase yields and lower the thermal specifications of their processors nothing more and nothing less. Stop adding your delusions to the equation.

No a FX at 800 isn’t a good deal either that’s retarded when clearly a mid range processor is just beating it.

Go lean on a 5000+ no one cares what you do or how you do it.