Will a $500 AM2 5000+ be the chip to beat?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The benchmarks are strating o trickle in and the Core 2 seem sto be living up to early marks, though th e6700 gives as good an experinence as the 6800 in real world tests. Tests only clocked the 6800 to 3.46 but it shows a slight improvement per clock.

The surprise is the $700 (currently) AM2 5000+ which has stolen the thunder of the 939 FX60 stealing wins in several benches though slower in others.

If AMD includes this in their price drops and knocks off 30% off the price, it wiould put in well within range of the 6700 for price/perf. An Extreme OC of this from VooDooPC would be a powerful box.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Sadly, not.
At most for its performance it could take the 6600, if competitively priced, which means, $300 at best.
Even though i'm an AMD supporter (not because of Intel "being evil" :lol:, but just because if AMD gets knocked out, then Intel can do whatever it wants concerning prices, roadmaps, etc), i think that the 6600 is such a sweet CPU.
It has unbeatable price/performance (and even price/performance/watt), and it seems to be even extremely good for overclocking..
And the models below it have just half the cache and are not significantly cheaper so..

EDIT: i wish there was a 6600 equivalent in the graphic card market.. then i'd build a new rig immediately! :)

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
My ears pricked up when I first heard about the 5000 X2 and I thought this would be a good alternative. If it was available on 939 I would certainly take this seriously as it would be a very easy upgrade path for me.

But bearing in mind I'd need to change the motherboard and RAM to get this CPU, and also considering that even at US $500 it doesn't stack up to an E6600, this chip can stay sitting on the shelf.

It would have to be sub US $300 to attact serious consideration.

Skidd

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2004
No it will not be the one to beat as its already taken a beating from the C2D's

3dm06-grafik.png

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
No it will not be the one to beat as its already taken a beating from the C2D's

3dm06-grafik.png

A system is more than the CPU. Overall I think the 5000+ is an excellent value. Even in the face of Core 2. That's just my opinion, though. ANd yes I read the reviews. I'm more interestedt in the 5000+ and 4600+ which are still near the top of the pyramid.

I won't buy either but if I were buying I'd end up with AM2. I've had better successes with AMD lately. DOn't want to jinx it.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
So you'd gladly pay US $200 more because you believe it will prevent a jinx?

Hey, want to have a look at these magic beans that I've got for sale? You can grow FX-64s on them...

Disclaimer: as with the current AMD roadmap, no set time can be given for harvest of said FX-64 CPUs from said beans.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The 5000+ will not be $500.
Time and time again I tell you people and you just dont listen.
Amd will still hold the price/performance advantage when conroe comes out, that is their strategy. That has been there strategy for 10 years.
You get what you pay for no matter what brand you buy.
If a Core duo 2.6 costs say $400 and it competes or surpasses fx-62 in performance, then fx-62 will be priced at $350, thats the way it works people. You cannot sell an inferior item for more money.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Well, why not?
It's performance should be just a tad lower than E6600, yet would be slightly cheaper + 4x4 possible + cheaper chipset + good support for SLI + a stable platform which should support next generation CPUs.
I think it wouldn'te be too bad.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Gawd.. give it time.

Price wise... the 5000+ is still roughly 730-890 Bucks.

E6600 is roughtly going to be 340-390 Bucks.

Either way.. you need to give things time to either buy the E6600 or till price changes make the 5000+ more attractive.

As far as 4x4... heh for 15 percent increase at double the cost, I don't seem to find it attractive.

KBM

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
After reading all these reviews, you are still thinking about buying AMD?..
You must be really stupid.. Why don't you just buy Conroe..
Even a grad school kid can make that logical decision.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Well sure a 5000+ at 7-800 bucks does not make any sense, and so at 500$, so i just made an hypotheses, at which price point it would start to make sense to me.
Concerning 4x4, i wouldnt say that 15% increase at twice the price wouldn't make sense.
Think about this: E6700 costs almost double as E6600, and has only 10% higher clock speed..
But the real problem is, there is no guarantee that 4x4 would give a 15% boost on performance, it was just a poor (not pure, no pun intended) speculation from a poor webpage.
Obviously the gain would go from 0% to 80% depending on the application, but i dont know if there is any popular application which can really benefit from quad core.
It's just that the possibility is interesting, if the price of the platform is right.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
There are still good arguments to buy AMD following their price cuts, but these are now just mostly for those people upgrading just a CPU and who don't also want to upgrade the motherboard and RAM etc.

If you're buying new or as good as, the situation will become clearer by the end of this month once the AMD price cuts have settled down, and moer importantly, the retailers have decided how they will react to them.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
If as MrsD states, you get what you pay for, the EE Pentium D should never have been priced at $999, thus, at least in that cause, her theory is way off. However, with AMD lowering there prices and all the hype and demand on Conroe, I could easily see people buying up 5000's because they will actually be on the shelves. So, maybe for 3-4 months, they will be a good bargan. Once availability of Conroe improves, they would need to be priced further down, no doubt. but until then, they may be a good deal.

RichPLS

Champion
Are you trying and having a hard time buying a Conroe? I know if I had the desire and cash for a new CPU, I would and could get one even before the official release date, and it looks like even easier after that...

Will a $500 AM2 5000+ be the chip to beat?

NO!

Why buy a $500 Athlon 64 X2 5000+ when you can get a $320 E6600 that beats the FX-62 in nearly all benchmarks?

Baron, look at the facts and the numbers.

There's only only one piece left to Intel's puzzle: Ship the chips! (And that's about to happen)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The 5000+ will not be $500.
Time and time again I tell you people and you just dont listen.
Amd will still hold the price/performance advantage when conroe comes out, that is their strategy. That has been there strategy for 10 years.
You get what you pay for no matter what brand you buy.
If a Core duo 2.6 costs say $400 and it competes or surpasses fx-62 in performance, then fx-62 will be priced at $350, thats the way it works people. You cannot sell an inferior item for more money.
Stop smoking crack!!!They should have registered forum residents submit a drug test before they can begin posting, and one every month following that. Many would fail. :eek:

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If they reduced the price that much (presumably including FX-60 / 939 chips) I wouldn't hesitate just to grab an FX-60, run that for a year or so and wait for Core 2 Duo to become more mature (as well as Vista) and then review. I'm sure there'd be plenty of other 939 users who would think the same way.

RichPLS

Champion
BaronMatrix said:
No (X2-5000) it will not be the one to beat as its already taken a beating from the C2D's

A system is more than the CPU. Overall I think the 5000+ is an excellent value. Even in the face of Core 2. That's just my opinion, though. ANd yes I read the reviews. I'm more interestedt in the 5000+ and 4600+ which are still near the top of the pyramid.

I won't buy either but if I were buying I'd end up with AM2. I've had better successes with AMD lately. DOn't want to jinx it.

Not to mention the X2-5000 will cost more and perform less, in order to make that AMD chip perform decently, you must also pay more for high quality and low latency DDR2 800 memory, whereas the lower cost Conroes outperform even when using high latency cheap DDR2 533.

And of course if you want to overclock, AMD once again disappoints, since Intel has been leading in overclocking CPU's for years.

Stop smoking crack!!!They should have registered forum residents submit a drug test before they can begin posting, and one every month following that. Many would fail. :eek:

Haha.

My next CPU purchase is going to be a cheap S939 dual-core because upgrading will be the most cost-efficient thing for me to do. So all this Conroe stuff will still benefit me by making AMD prices lower.

If I was building a new system I would pick Conroe, hand spanking down.

All of you AMD mindless fanboys are making yourself look silly. Just admint that Conroe is FREAKING AWESOME! Stop trying to make up pricing stratgies that put the FX-62 at $320 or whatever, it's not going to go that low.

RichPLS

Champion
All of you AMD mindless fanboys are making yourself look silly. Just admint that Conroe is FREAKING AWESOME! Stop trying to make up pricing stratgies that put the FX-62 at $320 or whatever, it's not going to go that low.

Even at that price, the performance of the FX chips are not worth it even then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe AMD needs to start giving the CPU's away if you buy their motherboards!!!