Will a 6+2 Pin connector power an Asus GTX 960 Strix?

Johnbonne

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
Hey all, Johnbonne here with yet another question!

I'm going to be installing a GTX 960 as you've probably heard me say a million times already, and I've noticed that the Asus GTX 960 Strix (Factory OC) requires an 8-pin connector. My PSU, a Corsair CS650W has two 6+2 PCI-E cables, and I'm wondering if that'll work as a substitute for a 'proper' 8-pin connector. I hear that the card will come with a converter but of that I can't be sure until I open the box, and I thought I'd ask before I did anything rash.

Not sure if this helps but I won't push the card to its maximum - I'll mostly be playing on 720p at High settings to be absolutely sure I've got a steady framerate. And if there's any tips that you can provide regarding how I can lower power consumption through the Nvidia software that it'll probably come with to help with overclocking, that'd be great!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read, and especially to those who can answer! ^^

Solution
The 6+2 connector was invented because nobody knows when a power supply is built, what connectors in what quantities will be needed. So instead of needing to supply X number of 6 pin and X number of 8 pin connectors, they can simply include 6+2 pin connectors and everything is covered. If your video card uses a 6 pin connector, you just have 2 pins hanging over the edge. If you need 8 pin, you use all 8 pins.

The difference between 6 pins and 8 pins is 75 watts. As a 6 pin connector, only 75 watts is delivered to the video card from that cable. If all 8 pins are used, 150 watts are available for the card. These amounts of power are in addition to the 75 watts that a video card can draw from the PCIe slot as well.
The 6+2 connector was invented because nobody knows when a power supply is built, what connectors in what quantities will be needed. So instead of needing to supply X number of 6 pin and X number of 8 pin connectors, they can simply include 6+2 pin connectors and everything is covered. If your video card uses a 6 pin connector, you just have 2 pins hanging over the edge. If you need 8 pin, you use all 8 pins.

The difference between 6 pins and 8 pins is 75 watts. As a 6 pin connector, only 75 watts is delivered to the video card from that cable. If all 8 pins are used, 150 watts are available for the card. These amounts of power are in addition to the 75 watts that a video card can draw from the PCIe slot as well.

Solution