Question Will a GIGABYTE RTX 2060 run in this rig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I would get at least 600w to be honest.

my rig (in my signature) uses around 400-450w of power and its not as power hungry as your build will be with the 2060. Especially if you plan on putting an OC on anything.

You dont want to run your rig at 90% of your psu's capabilities at all times because there is a efficency curve on psus and once you get out of that efficency curve, things can get a little degraded.

600w ensures you would have enough headroom. Without 600w I wouldnt do any overclocking.

You also have to take into account your system fans, if you have rgb fans and a controller, rgb peripherals as well as these use more of the psu than just normal peripherals. How many HDDs or SSDs you have. Are you water cooled or air? A lot plays into your psu not JUST the main hardware.

Heres a psu calculator from pc parts picker, plug in all your info and see what the recommended psu size is! https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Jun 21, 2019
I would get at least 600w to be honest.

my rig (in my signature) uses around 400-450w of power and its not as power hungry as your build will be with the 2060. Especially if you plan on putting an OC on anything.

You dont want to run your rig at 90% of your psu's capabilities at all times because there is a efficency curve on psus and once you get out of that efficency curve, things can get a little degraded.

600w ensures you would have enough headroom. Without 600w I wouldnt do any overclocking.

You also have to take into account your system fans, if you have rgb fans and a controller, rgb peripherals as well as these use more of the psu than just normal peripherals. How many HDDs or SSDs you have. Are you water cooled or air? A lot plays into your psu not JUST the main hardware.

So as it is:
I5-7400
GTX 1060 6GB Factory OC
16 DDR4 2400
H110M-S2V
Logitech Mouse, Keyboard and Headset
Thrustmaster T.1600M and Wifi Adapter
2 fans and the CPU air cooler

Reactions: Jason H.
So as it is:
I5-7400
GTX 1060 6GB Factory OC
16 DDR4 2400
H110M-S2V
Logitech Mouse, Keyboard and Headset
Thrustmaster T.1600M and Wifi Adapter
2 fans and the CPU air cooler

Use that website I provided, plug in all your info, and tell us what the total wattage use will be, and the size psu they recommend. :)

Keep in mind no online calculators are 100% correct. Its just a round about area that they recommend for the normal uses of the hardware. However their recommendations are usually right on par with what you should buy for your rig.

Jun 21, 2019
Use that website I provided, plug in all your info, and tell us what the total wattage use will be, and the size psu they recommend. :)

Keep in mind no online calculators are 100% correct. Its just a round about area that they recommend for the normal uses of the hardware. However their recommendations are usually right on par with what you should buy for your rig.

The recommended is about 500w but they`re advertising 600

Yeah i know, i`m not worried about wattage as much as i am about safety. i can get a CX550 i think, but not a CX550M (same for CX650 and CX650M)

Their calculator is usually pretty accurate so if they recommend 500w, then the cx550 should be enough. I have a cx550m works absolutely wonderful! I only recommended the 600w for ease of mind in the future. Keep in mind thats 500w WITHOUT overclocking your cpu or gpu.

So thats where we start getting into the efficency curve I was talking about. If you end up pushing ur hardware to use 450-500w, you wouldnt want to only have a 50-100w headroom. 100-150 would be a lot nicer for how well the psu works at its peak. Also if you ever wanted to upgrade your gpu or cpu in the future you may possibly have to upgrade your psu as well.

Now what did they say that your system uses? like does it use about 380w 400w? and they recommended a 500w psu? Just curious as the what they are guesstimating your system actually uses.

Jun 21, 2019
Their calculator is usually pretty accurate so if they recommend 500w, then the cx550 should be enough. I have a cx550m works absolutely wonderful! I only recommended the 600w for ease of mind in the future. Keep in mind thats 500w WITHOUT overclocking your cpu or gpu.

So thats where we start getting into the efficency curve I was talking about. If you end up pushing ur hardware to use 450-500w, you wouldnt want to only have a 50-100w headroom. 100-150 would be a lot nicer for how well the psu works at its peak. Also if you ever wanted to upgrade your gpu or cpu in the future you may possibly have to upgrade your psu as well.

Now what did they say that your system uses? like does it use about 380w 400w? and they recommended a 500w psu? Just curious as the what they are guesstimating your system actually uses.

about 447W was the recommended. I can get my hands on a CX650 i think, but im afriad its unreliable, idk i read some pretty nasty thing about the CX series

Reactions: Jason H.
about 447W was the recommended. I can get my hands on a CX650 i think, but im afriad its unreliable, idk i read some pretty nasty thing about the CX series

Not the recommended psu size, I mean the number where it says load wattage. Whats that say?

And everything is based off user experience. Some people probably did have bad experiences with the cx series, however I have not so I cant say anything but good about them.

load wattage was about 427W

Ok so as is, with no overclocking and such, and if your okay with possibly replacing the psu with a higher wattage psu in the future if you plan on upgrading next year or something, then yes the cx550 or 550m would be great.

IF you plan on overclocking, or you already plan on maybe doing some upgrade in the future, I would just drop the extra 10$ on the 650.

Gives ease of mind for the future and plenty of headroom for any possible overclocking you may do. Which I do recommend at least trying. I turned my gtx 1060 into a 1070 simply by overclocking so it saved me like a half a year before needing to upgrade. At least for my use with it.

Jun 21, 2019
Ok so as is, with no overclocking and such, and if your okay with possibly replacing the psu with a higher wattage psu in the future if you plan on upgrading next year or something, then yes the cx550 or 550m would be great.

IF you plan on overclocking, or you already plan on maybe doing some upgrade in the future, I would just drop the extra 10$ on the 650.

Gives ease of mind for the future and plenty of headroom for any possible overclocking you may do. Which I do recommend at least trying. I turned my gtx 1060 into a 1070 simply by overclocking so it saved me like a half a year before needing to upgrade. At least for my use with it.
But will this KCAS 500 80 Bronze connected to an offline nobreak hold my RTX and 9400f safely until I can get a CX550? Also like I said is it normal for the 12v to drop tov11.73 now? What about when I put on the rtx?

But will this KCAS 500 80 Bronze connected to an offline nobreak hold my RTX and 9400f safely until I can get a CX550? Also like I said is it normal for the 12v to drop tov11.73 now? What about when I put on the rtx?

No its not really normal for the 12v rail to drop to 11.73, how old is the psu? it sounds like its starting to go bad.

Have you had any crashes or bsods using this setup?

No its not really normal for the 12v rail to drop to 11.73, how old is the psu? it sounds like its starting to go bad.

Jun 21, 2019

Its actually brand new. I just got a stupid offline UPS with it and it started behaving weirdly. Damn, idk what to do now.

Im trying to add funds to my paypal account but my bank won`t allow it