[SOLVED] Will a H110M-K Motherboard with LGA1151 Socket support a CORE I5-9400F 2.90GHZ

Aug 14, 2020
Im looking to upgrade my cpu from intel r pentium r cpu g4400 3.30ghz to CORE I5-9400F 2.90GHZ
if the motherboard cant support the core i5 what other cpu would be a good upgrade for a decent price

No. Even though your motherboard is LGA1151 it is ONLY compatible with 6th generations CPUs and 7th generation after you update the bios. Your motherboard WILL NOT support 8th, 9th, or any newer CPU generations.

Here are all of the CPUs your motherboard can support:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H110M-K/HelpDesk_CPU/

Honestly, none of the CPUs compatible with your motherboard are particularly good value any more.

Solution
Ok thank you for the info
ill try to find a 6th or 7th gen cpu

Honestly it's probably not worth looking at 6th or 7th gen CPUs now. The 6th and 7th gen Core i5s only have 4 cores and 4 threads and thus tend to perform poorly in more modern workloads. The Core i7s offer 4 cores and 8 threads and are still somewhat viable, but they still tend to be quite pricey on the second hand market.

You're probably better off just getting a new CPU and motherboard entirely, the RAM could be carried over into a new build, though if it is slow DDR4 eg. 2133MHz it might not be great if you go for an AMD system.