Question Will a i7 4790k with a 2070S be enough to survive the next gen of gaming @ 1080p...?

vonbleak101

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I have been running a system with an i7 4790k and 980 ti for the past 4-5 years and its been awesome. I game @ 1080p and i have not found a game yet i cant run at at least 60+ fps including RDR2 so i am fairly confident that my rig will be ok for another year or so, until the next gen of consoles at least...

As i cant just upgrade my cpu without also doing the motherboard/ram, i am thinking of upgrading my 980ti to a 2070s...

So my question becomes will this system be ok for the next 2-5 years...? (the next colsole gen bassically) I know you cant see the future but you guys generally know your <Mod Edit> hehe...

i7 4790k @ 4.0
16gig ddr3 @ 2133
2070 Super
SSD System drive
(for now games are installed on a 2tb WD Black - but i hope to get a SSD for games soon enough)

Thanks for any info guys!

V

Last edited by a moderator:

jsdsparky

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
It comes down to which component is the limiting factor in your performance. If you are able to monitor your CPU and GPU usage while in-game, and you notice that the GPU is always at 100 and the CPU isn't working as hard as it could, then in that case a GPU upgrade could be beneficial. That being said, I suspect you may not see as much of a performance improvement as you might like going from a 980ti to a 2070 super at 1080p -- and the fact that the Intel 4000 series is getting a bit on the older side at this point is only going to make the difference even less noticeable. If you're happy with how you're running your games now, I would wait to upgrade.

vonbleak101

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Wait for what exactly...?

The difference between a 980 ti and 2070 Super is pretty decent and while i am content with how current games are performing now, my whole point is that i doubt the 980 ti will be able to hold out for another generation, and about the most bang for buck upgrade i can do will be a 2070 super...

What else could i do with my current system for the same price that will give the same performance boost...? (Nothing i can think of...). I wont actually be upgrading for a few months anyway so i kind of will be waiting for a bit at least, but i dont think Nvidia will be releasing any more new cards for a while...

IMO, yes, it could last most folks another another 6-8 months of gaming, as long as you were not remotely expecting 9900K levels of performance, or, expecting 144 fps levels of performance for 144 Hz monitors in all games, etc... (Benchmarks show it often equaling R5-1600/1700 levels in everage frame rates, and few claim those are inadequate, although the 4c/8t design does perhaps impact min fps here and there)

vonbleak101

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Come on guys - read my words... :p

I know my setup will be fine for prob the next year like i said (until real next gen games start coming out)...

What i am asking is will a i7 4970k with a 2070S get me through the next few years (not months)...

I am not worried about running at Ultra settings and have no prblems turning settings down to run at 1080p 60fps...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just do it and see what happens. Your cpu is good enough and would be better than my older cpu in 1440p with a 1080Ti. I don't play BF5 and those types of cpu heavy games but do play FC4,5,ND, Ghost Recon quite well. But knowing games that are cpu intensive, if i were to play them, I'm aware frame rates has an impact on cpu usage and would monitor and cap fps to a level that's good.

Game req's are changing though so within three years could be a big ask. No one knows for sure though so just enjoy it now and deal with it later.

Come on guys - read my words... :p

I know my setup will be fine for prob the next year like i said (until real next gen games start coming out)...

What i am asking is will a i7 4970k with a 2070S get me through the next few years (not months)...

I am not worried about running at Ultra settings and have no prblems turning settings down to run at 1080p 60fps...
As long as it doesn't crap out, your i7 will be fine for at least another 2 years and maybe more depending on what games you are playing in that time. Save toward a new platform so you can upgrade when you actually need a CPU upgrade. An i7-4790k is currently as good as a Ryzen 5 2600/X, and that situation only changes when you need more cores or move up to the 3600 or Ryzen 4000 when released.

I personally think people should always buy the fastest graphics card they can afford (including the required PSU) regardless of what CPU they have, but within reason. You don't buy an RTX 2080ti for an 8 year old i3, however I don't see any issue with an 2080 Super paired with an i7-3770k since even that CPU is only around 10fps slower in most games compared to an Ryzen 5 2600.

vonbleak101

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
As long as it doesn't crap out, your i7 will be fine for at least another 2 years and maybe more depending on what games you are playing in that time. Save toward a new platform so you can upgrade when you actually need a CPU upgrade. An i7-4790k is currently as good as a Ryzen 5 2600/X, and that situation only changes when you need more cores or move up to the 3600 or Ryzen 4000 when released.

I personally think people should always buy the fastest graphics card they can afford (including the required PSU) regardless of what CPU they have, but within reason. You don't buy an RTX 2080ti for an 8 year old i3, however I don't see any issue with an 2080 Super paired with an i7-3770k since even that CPU is only around 10fps slower in most games compared to an Ryzen 5 2600.

Yeah cheers - thats what i am hoping... That with the 2070S i can get another 2-3 years out of my system at which point it will def be time for a major rebuild... Also there is a chance that if it survives the first 2-3 years of next gen ok it might be ok for all of it if i am lucky... The reasoning behind this is that for the entire gen (apart from any PC exclusives) all games will have to be made to run on the lowest spec next gen console for the entire gen...

So basically i am hoping that if my system with the 2070S can play, say, Halo Infinite or Hellblade 2 well enough, then who knows, it may last the entire gen... Modern games look so good right now that even with RDR2 i have most things set to medium with a few on high and few on low and it looks amazing and runs fine... So even if i have to play next gen games on a mix of med/low (with high textures of course) i dont really mind as they will still look amazing to me... As long as i can get 60fps i will be happy :)

Last edited: