Question Will a Xeon E5649 fit in a desktop board

Mar 24, 2019
Hi im new to the forum, hello everyone. Ive had this hpZ800 for years now thats recently started to hang bad! and am wondering if i buy a socket lga 1366 desktop board like a asus P6T or something, will one of my cpus work in it please.

Here is a list of motherboards which should be compatible with the Xeon E5649. This isn't comprehensive. As finding specific boards is difficult. I'd suggest looking for x58 boards on eBay. Then looking up the manufacturers CPU support list for it.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Xeon/E5649_motherboards.html

Have you tried a clean install of Windows. Hanging isn't typically associated with a faulty motherboard. More likely OS/software related or failed/failing storage device. A faulty motherboard would more likely result in failure to POST or hard crashes.

Mar 24, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I've tried a lot of things, replaced hard drives, memory, flashed bios, changed bios config, changed memory config, disabled multi CPU, disabled hyper threading. I've reverted to win7 because windows 10 from the login screen took around 20 mins to load completely, windows7 takes around 5 mins. If I open chrome after startup it usually takes around 20 seconds to open, if I then close and reopen it appears half loaded instantly then hangs for several seconds before I can use it. Also recently I have noticed that virtualization isn't working, it's enabled in the bios and the intel tool says it's enabled but if I try to use virtual machine or blue stacks they both report that virtualization is disabled. HP assist reports the machine as being in perfect health as does a couple of online tests but clearly it's not. The p6t seems like a good option for me and your link cleared any doubts in my mind, thank you very much.