Question Will adding 2 more sticks of ram slow down my timings?

CrimsonDevil

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Here is the spec's

• CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-9900K 3.60GHZ 16MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151
  • MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (GEIL Super Luce RGB)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 -CB ATX w/ 802.11ac Wi-Fi, ARGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
If I add another 2 GEIL Super Luce RGB sticks of ram will it slow down my timings?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If they're the same timings, no. If timings are different, the motherboard will adjust to the lowest denominator meaning higher CL timings or slower frequency to match the slower ram. Ram can slow down but slow ram wont increase under automatic operation.

Mixing ram is not guaranteed to work just so you're aware, there is a good chance they will though.

Adding extra memory often causes the memory to be no longer able to operate at rated specifications. This is why such combinations have no guarantee to be compatible together. Timings for a single kit are not for two kits purchased separately. You can play around with BIOS settings if you choose to make such combinations as there is no guarantee as to how it will work if the PC boots up.

As said above there is no guarantee that you will even POST with two of those extra sticks. Primarily because manufacturers like Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston, GEIL etc. use multiple brands of memory chips in the exact same model of memory. So your GEIL kit could come either way Micron, Samsung, or Hynix.

If that kit of RAM has the same memory chip brand (like samsung) as your current sticks, then they should work fine (given they are still the same speed and primary timings). But if not, then it is very doubtful they will play well together.