Question Will adding 32GB of memory still work in dual channel with 16GB on board?

NixyPCbuilder

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Hello everyone, im trying to max out the laptop ASUS ROG Zephyrus G16 GU603ZV-N3009 Eclipse Gray and noticed that it come with 16GB ram and its max capacity is 48GB. I want to add the 32GB memory to have 48GB in total but unsure of dual channel performance and if it will even work. Thanks for any info and ideas what i could do!

Ralston18

Titan
What software are you using?

Software will only use what memory is required and it is likely that that additional 32 GB may be mostly unused.

My suggestion is to just use the laptop and do all that you wish as you wish. Or require to be more technical about it...

Then, if and when, there are specific memory problems then address those specific problems directly.

AKA

"If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Assuming the first 16GB (included) is in single channel, then the addition of 32GB should put it into asynchronous (or flex mode) dual channel. So you will have 32GB (16GB original, 16GB of the new 32GB sodimm) in dual channel, 16GB in single channel (of the added 32GB sodimm). The 32GB in dual channel should be accessed first by the OS.

Reactions: stuff and nonesense

NixyPCbuilder

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Well mostly playing games and streaming (win 11). I have issues on 16GB currently on my desktop and im upgrading to the laptop because it it portable. But something that i want to last 4 years and how much memory each app uses is just too much and i dont feel that 16+16gb is going to be enough. I heard in some videos that the 16gb already in laptop IS dual channel. In some, adding 32 will make the dual channel not to work. So thats why im here. Thanks
Assuming the first 16GB (included) is in single channel, then the addition of 32GB should put it into asynchronous (or flex mode) dual channel. So you will have 32GB (16GB original, 16GB of the new 32GB sodimm) in dual channel, 16GB in single channel (of the added 32GB sodimm). The 32GB in dual channel should be accessed first by the OS.

Well mostly playing games and streaming (win 11). I have issues on 16GB currently on my desktop and im upgrading to the laptop because it it portable. But something that i want to last 4 years and how much memory each app uses is just too much and i dont feel that 16+16gb is going to be enough. I heard in some videos that the 16gb already in laptop IS dual channel. In some, adding 32 will make the dual channel not to work. So thats why im here. Thanks
Even if that is the case, the dual channel 16GB should still stay in dual channel. You can use utilities like HWiNFO to see how you machine is configured, instead of relying on hearsay in a forum. It does throw a lot of information at you, but in the summary window, memory section you can see the memory mode.