[SOLVED] will an i3 10100f bottleneck a rtx 2060

Feb 8, 2021
hi i have an i3 10100f system with 16gb of ram at 2666 mhz ddr4, my question is, will a rtx 2060 run at full speeds or close to full speeds on this system.

Solution
A psu with only a 6 pin sounds likely to be an old or low quality unit that shouldn’t be in a gaming system. We really exact make and model as wattage alone is fairly meaningless but it sounds like it needs upgrading. A good quality 450w would run that system easily.

To you original question that cpu and gpu will be a good pairing at 1080p. You have to manage expectations, a 4 core 8 thread cpu is entry level for gaming so regardless of gpu choice could be a limiting factor in some games but will deliver a very playable experience, just might not be the FPS a more powerful cpu could deliver.

A psu with only a 6 pin sounds likely to be an old or low quality unit that shouldn’t be in a gaming system. We really exact make and model as wattage alone is fairly meaningless but it sounds like it needs upgrading. A good quality 450w would run that system easily.

To you original question that cpu and gpu will be a good pairing at 1080p. You have to manage expectations, a 4 core 8 thread cpu is entry level for gaming so regardless of gpu choice could be a limiting factor in some games but will deliver a very playable experience, just might not be the FPS a more powerful cpu could deliver.
There people go again though assuming as much as i agree with parts of your statement there are still plenty of brand new psu's manny to date of high top grade with only 6pin pcie connectors

Coming from someone who has pulled their hair out chasing phantom performance/stability issues for weeks only to find out that the power supply was the issue...I'd say you NEED a good power supply.

If you list the make/model of PSU we can advise on whether it's sufficient.

To answer the original question, the i3 10100f is a pretty good CPU, and it should be a decent pairing with a RTX2060. At 1080p you might be limited by the 10100f, but it will depend on the game and settings.

The 10100f is quite powerful, HOWEVER, it is still a budget CPU with only 4 cores 8 threads, which will mean some CPU demanding games may not run as well as they would if you had a higher end CPU + the RTX 2060.

All RTX2060s will come with AT LEAST a single 8 pin power connector to my knowledge. Even my OEM HP Omen GTX1660 Super had an 8 pin connector.

I cannot think of any decent power 450w PSUs with only a single 6 pin connector. What is the make and model of this 450w PSU?

I can think of a few decent 450w PSUs with only a single 6+2 pin connector such as the Corsair CX450 and CS450M. Even something like an EVGA N1 400w, a very low end PSU that is most suited for office computers, has a 6+2 pin and 6 pin connector.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

To answer the intent of original question, yes, a 2060 can be a good upgrade.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

There is always a limiting factor.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

As to the i3-10100, here is a review which shows the processor to be a competent gamer, at least up to a point:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

On the psu question, an older psu with only a 6 pin connector(not a 6+2) likely does not have the capability to properly run a card requiring an 8 pin connector.
In fact, it can be dangerous to try. If overloaded, a poor psu can damage other parts if it should fail under load.

Consider investing in a quality psu as a long term investment for future upgrades.
Look at 550-750w. A psu will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Look for a unit with a 7/10 year warranty. Seasonic focus, for example.

Efficiency rating should be near the bottom of specs on which to select a psu.
It says nothing about the quality of the unit.
Any cost savings are minimal, even with expensive electricity.
Do not buy a cheap psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

One should pick a psu based on quality and suitability to do the job.
A good start is to consult a psu tier list. There are several, here is one:

logainofhades

Titan
Solution