Will an SSD significantly increase Windows Updates installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XnicrabX

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
These are the main parts of my pc:

HDD: Seagate 750gb 7200rpm
CPU:AMD Phenom 9750 2.4ghz AM2+ quad core
RAM: 8gb

After a clean install of Windows 7 the first "round" of Updates contain at least 60 Updates. This takes about an hour and a half to completely install. One Update that is not included in the first "round" of Updates but I have remembered because it takes so long is NET Framework 4.0; NET Framework 4.0 just by itself takes at least 20 minutes to install. This drives me up the wall so much that I'm considering buying an SSD. I always install all Windows 7 updates before I install anything else including Java & Adobe Flash; and I don't web browse while it's downloading or installing the Win7 Updates. I don't have a bunch of apps auto-starting and my boot time is usually just under 2 minutes. Is it the HDD or the CPU and RAM that are at fault for these slow Update install times? Maybe it's all three?

Will an SSD significantly increase Windows Updates installs? A significant improvement to me would be that each round of Updates would take at most 15 minutes to completely install.

How long would you estimate it takes your first round of Updates to install (including all that restarting Stage1...Stage 2...Stage 3 stuff)?

Thanks for reading. :hello:

zdbc13

Distinguished
Depending on your internet speed the longest part is the download time. SSD won't help that. However you can pre-download the updates with a tool called wsusoffline and put them on a USB drive or a secondary hard drive. Don't plug these in while doing the initial install. It's a great program for people who re-install windows a lot. It will reduce the updating by many times. An SSD is great, too, of course and, as said before will speed things up significantly. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.