[SOLVED] Will Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti fit in lian li pc-o11 dynamic case?

Feb 17, 2019
so the on website the case says max gpu width is 159mm, and the strix 2080Ti is 130.4mm wide, HOWEVER you have to plug in PCIE cables into the card, so wondering after you've plugged everything in will the card still fit nicely?

EDIT: I think some people are getting confused I meant to say will the WIDTH of the strix 2080Ti fit inside the o11 dynamic not the length

Last edited:
Solution
To be honest, that is not a specification you're likely to find, and I rarely ever hear anybody even ask about it because graphics cards don't generally even HAVE any issues with that dimension. If a case will support a 160mm CPU cooler, or bigger, it's not going to ever have any issues with ANY graphics card's width, which is actually it's HEIGHT.

Any case that can't support at least a 145mm CPU cooler height is probably not the right case to use with a full size graphics card.

I don't think I've EVER even seen a case list a spec for GPU height, except mini ITX, or Small Form factor cases and even then they usually just say full height or half height cards.
Yes, the cables are not going to affect the length of the card as they plug in on top. Even factoring in some minimal clearance for the cables, you should have no problem. Cables are going to come up over the PCB on the card anyhow most likely, not lay off to the side.

Feb 17, 2019
Yes, the cables are not going to affect the length of the card as they plug in on top. Even factoring in some minimal clearance for the cables, you should have no problem. Cables are going to come up over the PCB on the card anyhow most likely, not lay off to the side.
that's good to hear. However didn't get what you mean by cables coming over the PCB. I'm going to have my cables going down exactly like what this guy is doing here, but he doesn't have the side panel on his lian li closed so i can't tell how nice the fit is View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/aer3dj/first_time_build_so_far_everything_works_and_the/

Feb 17, 2019
ok i think you thought that i am worried about length of gpu, but i'm actually worried about WIDTH

Regarding the width, you'll still have plenty of room. That loop from the socket up over and down is not going to take up 29mm of space, plus the cables are not that rigid. If need be, they can be be pulled inward to force a less gradual arc and there should be zero clearance issues with the cables and the side panel.

That's a big case, not even factoring in the right side below the motherboard tray on the back. If things don't fit in that case, they aren't going to fit in ANY case that isn't a very wide full tower. You are worring about the least of the issues you should have to worry about regarding fitment.

Feb 17, 2019
Regarding the width, you'll still have plenty of room. That loop from the socket up over and down is not going to take up 29mm of space, plus the cables are not that rigid. If need be, they can be be pulled inward to force a less gradual arc and there should be zero clearance issues with the cables and the side panel.

That's a big case, not even factoring in the right side below the motherboard tray on the back. If things don't fit in that case, they aren't going to fit in ANY case that isn't a very wide full tower. You are worring about the least of the issues you should have to worry about regarding fitment.
are you sure? Do you have the case and gpu to confirm?
also will be using these cables https://www.amazon.ca/CableMod-Clas...vga+g3+cables&qid=1566709357&s=gateway&sr=8-2

No, I don't have the case and cables to confirm, but given the dimensions available in that cases specifications, and the specifications for that graphics card, and the fact that I've built maybe 150 similar systems, at least, using nearly identical components in cases with less room than that one, yeah, I'm pretty sure.

If you are horrified by the idea that there might be contact between the PCI cables and the side panel, either get a bigger case or a smaller graphics card. The EVGA XC series cards seem to marginally smaller, at about 4.47" tall rather than 5.13" like the Asus cards. That's better than a half inch difference, plus, IMO, the EVGA XC series cards are a far better choice anyhow in terms of performance, noise and above all else, unequaled customer service and product support after the sale. There is really no other company that is as good in this area as EVGA.

So that might enable you to kill two birds with one stone, when you weren't even aware of the other bird.

Feb 17, 2019
No, I don't have the case and cables to confirm, but given the dimensions available in that cases specifications, and the specifications for that graphics card, and the fact that I've built maybe 150 similar systems, at least, using nearly identical components in cases with less room than that one, yeah, I'm pretty sure.

If you are horrified by the idea that there might be contact between the PCI cables and the side panel, either get a bigger case or a smaller graphics card. The EVGA XC series cards seem to marginally smaller, at about 4.47" tall rather than 5.13" like the Asus cards. That's better than a half inch difference, plus, IMO, the EVGA XC series cards are a far better choice anyhow in terms of performance, noise and above all else, unequaled customer service and product support after the sale. There is really no other company that is as good in this area as EVGA.

So that might enable you to kill two birds with one stone, when you weren't even aware of the other bird.
nah don't worry i'm not scared at all about side panel touching cables. Just wanna make sure things fit and look nice. Was originally going with the EVGA ftw3 ultra 2080Ti but that one is wayyy too huge so I decided to go with the strix. As far as I know the trio, ftw3 ultra, and strix yield the same performance while strix being quite a bit cheaper than ftw3 ultra (not sure about trio) so yea, there's that

The XC Ultra gaming is so close in terms of performance to the ftw3 that a minor overclock can overcome that differential.

Plus, the ftw3 is even bigger than the Strix card, so there would be less clearance between the top of the card and the side panel. On another note, which is what I've done with my system, using an EVGA card should allow you to use one of these, the EVGA Powerlink, that will reposition the location of your PCI cables and completely eliminate the issue of interference with the side panel. Can't be used with all graphics cards though. Some non-EVGA graphics cards will work with it, but the lock tab for the PCI cables must be on the side of the connector that faces away from the PC board on the card, not towards it. Many of them face towards it.

My system, with the powerlink adapter installed.

7HwacgP.jpg

Here's a better shot of the Powerlink adapter, on a different card.

g02_111616.jpg

Feb 17, 2019
yea that's what I said. ftw3 ultra huge af so i decided to go with strix. Also pretty sure you mean XC performs close to ftw3, NOT ftw3 ULTRA, the non ultra and ultra are different believe it or not, but that's all irrelevant. All 2080Tis whatever brand will usually perform within 5 frames of each other, it's just branding and aesthetics honestly

Feb 17, 2019
The XC Ultra gaming is so close in terms of performance to the ftw3 that a minor overclock can overcome that differential.

Plus, the ftw3 is even bigger than the Strix card, so there would be less clearance between the top of the card and the side panel. On another note, which is what I've done with my system, using an EVGA card should allow you to use one of these, the EVGA Powerlink, that will reposition the location of your PCI cables and completely eliminate the issue of interference with the side panel. Can't be used with all graphics cards though. Some non-EVGA graphics cards will work with it, but the lock tab for the PCI cables must be on the side of the connector that faces away from the PC board on the card, not towards it. Many of them face towards it.

My system, with the powerlink adapter installed.

7HwacgP.jpg

Here's a better shot of the Powerlink adapter, on a different card.

g02_111616.jpg
hmmm i just emailed asus and they said that it won't have good airflow. I think they misunderstood my question i mean air flow shouldn't be a problem right? Since the card will be pulling air from below which has an opening on the lian li case and exhausting it out the back?

Yes, they are thinking that you are talking about from the fan side of the graphics card to the side panel, like on a mini ITX case. Just ignore them. There is like a handful of people at ASUS support that know WTF they are talking about. The rest are mostly just idiot first level tech support monkeys who were likely pushing dirt around at their last job.

Feb 17, 2019
Yes, they are thinking that you are talking about from the fan side of the graphics card to the side panel, like on a mini ITX case. Just ignore them. There is like a handful of people at ASUS support that know WTF they are talking about. The rest are mostly just idiot first level tech support monkeys who were likely pushing dirt around at their last job.
but do you think that corsair crystal 570X will have better air flow?

Personally, I really don't like the cooling arrangement in the Lian Li pc-o11 dynamic. With no rear fan except on top, you really never get the desired airflow path over the CPU and VRM area to the back. Some people say they like it, I think it is a poor design. I'd have liked to see an exhaust fan location next to the rear I/O panel instead of a vent there as well.

What kind of CPU cooler are you planning to run in this rig?

Feb 17, 2019
Personally, I really don't like the cooling arrangement in the Lian Li pc-o11 dynamic. With no rear fan except on top, you really never get the desired airflow path over the CPU and VRM area to the back. Some people say they like it, I think it is a poor design. I'd have liked to see an exhaust fan location next to the rear I/O panel instead of a vent there as well.

What kind of CPU cooler are you planning to run in this rig?
corsair h150i, it's a 360mm aio cooler

Do you have a color preference? Do you really WANT tempered glass all the way around or on two sides, or is the main side panel being TG good enough?

Honestly, for price, features, quality and performance, it's incredibly hard to do much better as far as airflow, silence and cable management than the Define R6 tempered glass.

But for me, I'd rather have the Corsair Crystal than that Lian Li case. I'm sure you'll get differing opinions though if you ask around.

It's a very good case. I personally don't prefer the tempered glass front AND more importantly, I don't like cases where there is not either already a full airflow front panel (So, restricted airflow) or comes with a metal or ABS plastic front panel that I can modify INTO a full airflow panel. If cooling is a big consideration, and it should be with that cooler, you really want something that either has full front panel mesh of some kind, or a panel that you can mod OR one that has modified panels available FOR it.

But you could do worse than that case, but I know many people who feel like they are limited, seriously limited, by cases that have front panels with only tiny slots or holes for intake.

Feb 17, 2019
Do you have a color preference? Do you really WANT tempered glass all the way around or on two sides, or is the main side panel being TG good enough?

Honestly, for price, features, quality and performance, it's incredibly hard to do much better as far as airflow, silence and cable management than the Define R6 tempered glass.

But for me, I'd rather have the Corsair Crystal than that Lian Li case. I'm sure you'll get differing opinions though if you ask around.
yea i'll probably go crystal over o11 dynamic because the thing is i originally wanted to do liquid cooling so i got lian li but then i decided not so yea

so uhh... what's maximum gpu width for crystal? Couldn't find it online

To be honest, that is not a specification you're likely to find, and I rarely ever hear anybody even ask about it because graphics cards don't generally even HAVE any issues with that dimension. If a case will support a 160mm CPU cooler, or bigger, it's not going to ever have any issues with ANY graphics card's width, which is actually it's HEIGHT.

Any case that can't support at least a 145mm CPU cooler height is probably not the right case to use with a full size graphics card.

I don't think I've EVER even seen a case list a spec for GPU height, except mini ITX, or Small Form factor cases and even then they usually just say full height or half height cards.

Solution