Will coil whine ever be fixed?

Hi

As components steadily get more powerful, require more voltage and games push these components so hard that they start to whine due to the power demand I would like to know if manufacturers will ever try and permanently fix coil whine or is it going to get just worse with ever generation of GPU and continue to plague gamers with its annoying ringing/squealing sound?

USAFRet

Titan

Its already solved:
Don't buy crap components.

Beyond that, we have to alter the laws of physics and biology.

I'm not sure where the notion of quality is coming from. It's not an issue of quality. It's an issue of electrical design and component selection. Even equipment that has been considered high end has been known to exhibit coil whine. All coils vibrate. Coil whine simply means the coils are vibrating at an audible frequency. What you're hearing is a coil of wire in a magnetic field. This isn't a whole lot different than how speakers work. Get things tuned correctly, and voila. Is that in the budget, or something they hear in the labs under the testing conditions currently employed? Maybe. But ultimately, what engineering says they need and what the business end says they get to spend are usually two different amounts.

People I have:
i7 6800k
H80i V2
Asus X99-AII
Corsiar 4x8GB LPX DDR4 RAM (2666mhz or something)
EVGA 850W G3 Gold rated
MSI GTX 1080 8GB
Samsung EVO 850 250gb

I have all high end parts...my GPU has started whining so loudly this week, I have sent it for RMA.

I got a tad of whine from my old 970 but this 1080's whine wrecked my ears

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Every gpu I have ever owned produced coil whine above a certain framerate, i'm using a seasonic G550. I have never heard a gpu that did not produce coil whine running at say 3000fps in a menu. Thats just the reality of a coil I believe, they try to smother them in rubber or plastic to tone down the vibrations but it doesn't always work.

Coil whine isn't new.
It occurs any time a part, or combination of parts creates an oscillation that is in the audible range of frequencies and of sufficient volume.

It can be difficult to create a complicated device such as a graphics card that doesn't oscillate (audibly) in any situation. You can for example have interacting frequencies that enhance some frequencies and dampen others such that a specific part oscillates in an unforseen way.

(Cars can actually have very annoying WIND NOISE due to the change in placement of one engine component such that it's very annoying between 115 and 120kms per hour)

Knowing WHEN you get coil whine is critical to finding a solution. If it's due to super high FPS, then enable/force VSYNC ON or force an FPS cap.

Changing the settings in a game that has coil whine with VSYNC working may be sufficient to change the oscillation pattern.

PSU?
A low quality PSU may or may not contribute to coil whine. You can of course get coil whine in the PSU itself, but on the GPU it depends WHERE the coil whine is occurring. If it's not related to power conditioning then I doubt the PSU quality will affect this at all.

Sasha_12

Prominent
May 2, 2017
i have a problem too with coil whine but from where it is located cpu i guess(and whine is present on gpu with games).i know this because I have removed gpu and disconnect all fans except cpu H80i v2 cooler ..i don't hear anything from PSU

Sasha_12

Prominent
May 2, 2017
so basically ,i don't know what the hell is going on but i need help :(

my Rig:
Asus sabertooth z170 mark1
intel i7 6700k stock (cooler corsair h80i v2)
gtx 1070 asus strix OC
ram g.skill ripjaws 5
psu evga supernova g2 650w
ssd evo pro 245gb
hdd wd black 2tb
windows 10 pro

Sasha_12

Prominent
May 2, 2017

i don't think so...afterall everything goes through motherboard