Will DirectX 12 Come to Windows 7?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"1. both Consoles have DX12 hardware, so no consoles will held back the DX12(PS3 is DX9 hardware held back DX10 adoption rate)
2. DX10 require new GPU, DX12 can work on Fermi which is 2 gen behind.
3. DX12 is metal API = so it should be easier for developer

so DX12 adoption rate is definitely going to be faster than DX10"

Neather the PS3 or PS4 use Direct-X. The ps3 uses LibGCM and the PS4 uses open-GL or direct access.
Sony will never use direct-X because it's a competitors API.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
What kind of gamer is still using Windows 7 anyway? I could see using it for businesses and such, but since you can get extra performance from Windows 8.1, and gamers need every last bit of performance, Windows 7 isn't the best choice for gaming anyway.

Really, Microsoft deserves the black eye for their high-handed approach to making everyone use a tablet OS on a desktop with Windows 8, but Windows 8.1 is just better than Windows 7. I have both, and can dual boot, and I never go to Windows 7. It's obsolete, and crude by comparison, after you set up Windows 8.1 so it works how you want. But, thank goodness for the uproar, or we'd still be booting into that idiotic metro screen.

Even so, forget DX12 for Windows 7. The OS is completely obsolete and bloated. They've already said they'll be supporting Windows 8.1, although I'd prefer they just forget that because Windows 10 will be a free upgrade, and will fix the lingering interface issues with Windows 8.1 (the idiotic charms, and the right click start button), while presumably improving performance even more. Why bother supporting either?

Of course, Mantle will support all of the OS varieties, so it always an option on the people who cling to the decadent Windows 7 OS.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Microsoft has withheld the DirectX 11.1 and 11.2 minor upgrades from Windows 7 in order for gamers to migrate to Windows 8. So far it didn't work, but that hasn't stopped them from trying.

So i doubt they will release DX 12 for Windows 7. In any case, looking in retrospect game companies rarely use the post dx9.0c features in any meaningful way, so i doubt gamers will upgrade just for the new API. 99% of the games will look mostly the same.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Windows 7 is 5 years old, they could very well not release it. I'm 2 years away from a new PC build, so that will suck if they hold out on DX12.. Then again would i really be missing out on much? I mean literally games like Unity barely use the abilities of DX11. The real question is how long before developers actually put DX12 to use in there games. I don't think i will miss much from now and 2016 when i should have my new PC build running Windows 10.

killeak

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
"The Game developers won't care because they have a much better platform to develop on with the PS4. Remember, a console game that sells lousy - would be a big seller for PC market."

Belardo, as you said, consoles will drive game development and LibGM (the low level API for PS4) is much more closer to Mantle or D3D12 (and XB1 will use D3D12) than D3D11. So, games ported to D3D12 will run much better than the same game ported to D3D11.

xHDx

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
You're a bit behind here because they already confirmed that Richard Huddy "misspoke" already, so I assume there is a chance it will come to Win7.

I think it was confirmed that DX12 will work will all existing GPU's from Fermi and upwards, so it may be the same for Windows, but MS always wants their customers to upgrade, so it will probably be the case that it will be exclusive for Windows 8/8.1 and 10, or maybe just Windows 10 altogether.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
DX12 is more a marketing trick than anything. XBOX one has hard time pushing 1080p at 30FPS let alone other things. PS4 is a bit better in that aspect but compared to PC both consoles are 2 generations behind. As I said DX12 doesn't bring anything exciting. You know Crysis series game is still a pinnacle of gaming graphic and such and from what I see nothing is close to it let alone any title on Consoles. Crysis graphic quality was achieved with nothing but DX9 (few DX10/11 elements). I understand where Microsoft stands, they will do anything for Windows 10 to be successful. They cannot afford another Windows 8.x and if that happens company will suffer from the damage in years to come, already does in a way. Therefore they will be in a hurry to make people downgrade *cough *cough upgrade to Windows 10.

whats new here ?? with all Microsoft the small changes from os to os can render windows programs from working -- I got stuff that worked fine with xp and vista but don't with 7 ... its all part of the Microsoft wee keep your money coming in to us policy .. you pay $75 for a windows program for when you had xp or vista and not it don't work with 7 or above so now your back buying more software to get things back to work .. they [Microsoft] know just how to play it .. its all about money

DarkSlim

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I have just installed Win7 64 bit on my new computer, wish they would add DX12 support when it comes out or at least after a short period.

wish in one hand and take a crap in the other and see witch one fills up fastest

why support there old os when you can just buy there new os??? [the Microsoft way]

it may come true but well after ther money is made from the new os

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
So glad I don't use Windows at home anymore due to Microsoft's nonsense. Been using Linux Mint 17 and working great for me. As for games tho I get them from Steam.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
This time it likely won't bother me any, unlike how vista did.
So far I'm liking the windows 10 preview, and barring any huge pitfalls in the coming builds (Which reminds me I need to install the new one) I will likely be switching my primary OS to win10 next year.

But it's not perfect yet, so unless some software compatibility improves, I'll still have my windows 7 installed next to it. (Or unless the problematic games are fixed, I found it amusing halo 2 doesn't like windows 10.)

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
All I hope is that opengl hurries up to support the lower overhead and that directx dies as soon as possible. As such Microsoft not porting dx12 to 7 would be a great help. I personally use 8.1 untill I can safely upgrade to arch linux or more likely I format and go with windows 10 when that comes out.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
DX12 will be released on December 2015 and by that time 7 will be in it's extended support, so 7 users won't get it
it sounds fair as 7 will be out of mainstream support but most people won't like it, it will be time to do a mass migration to Windows 10 anyways as 7 got old, and I heard rumors that 10 will be free for 8 users (and maybe for 7 and Vista users)

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Windows 7 is where the users are at. Windows 8/8.1 is just today's Vista or WinME
No, it isn't. Windows 8.1 is slowly but surely gaining popularity as people are semi-forced to use it on new computers and realize "Wow.... my techie friend was feeding me a LoC about this OS!"
I've been using Windows 8 since Dev. Pre. days and I've loved it. Yes, I am an uber-techie but even my parents love Windows 8.1 and say it is much easier to use than Windows 7 for most things.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Please please stick to your guns MS. Dont release new DX to old platforms.

Anything that pushes developers towards other cross platform APIs is a good thing. I hate directx i wish it would just die already!

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
There is no question to ask, the answer is no. You don't need to blame greed or laziness either. All you need to do is look at the end of feature support for Windows 7. Does it end before DX12 releases? Yes. What does that mean? No DX12 for Windows 7.

It is as simple as that, it is an old operating system. Microsoft gives the same period of time for feature support on all their OSs, and they are insanely liberal with said feature support (where it is 100% nonexistant in other commercial OSs) and even more liberal with security support which extends several years or even a decade after feature support ends.

There is no underhanded meaning behind the move, that is how development works.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Right Microsoft. Because you know everyone and their grandmother codes for DX11 which has been around for a while now. *rolls eyes*

At the moment there are just roughly over 100 games that use DX11. With a handful (around 15) that are slated to support it when they release (most are next year 2015). Everything else still uses DX9.

So unless DX12 is a game changer, developers will still code DX11. Why would a developer rebuild an engine for a new format? They probably won't, it costs money.

I understand that you love your OS. The article says at the very top where the users are(Source: Steam Hardware Survey).

Windows 7 x64 = 47.78%
Windows 7 x86 = 11.73%
Windows 8.1 x64 = 21.43%
Windows 8 x64 = 7.01%
Windows XP x86 = 4.08%

or

Windows 7 = ~ 60%
Windows 8 = ~ 30%

-Of the 95% of Steam users that use Windows OS.

Windows 8.1 was a doomed OS before it ever saw its hay-day. It was a mobile/touch orientated OS forced upon a desktop community. I'm glad you like it but it is on its way out and Windows 10 will have more users than Windows 8/8.1 within the 1st quarter of its release.

tseska69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
If MS is so arrogant and greedy that they won't release dx 12 onto win 7 then AMD has an opportunity to provide close to the metal API with mantle on Vista, win 7, win 8, linux, and steam os.
But AMD's Mantle API only works with AMD cards. Doesn't that make them just as greedy and arrogant as Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.