Question will evo 970 m.2 work with my dell optiplex 990 minitower edition

Mar 10, 2019
i want a ssd for my xbox one. currently i have a dell optiplex 990 with a samsung 500gb evo 2.5inch sata3. i want to buy the samsung 500g nvme 970 evo m2. i want to take my 500gb sata3 out of my desktop and put it on my xbox one, then put the new 500gb m.2 evo970 in my pc in place of the 500gb sata3 ssd. ive heard about how running an m2 ssd thru a usb port restricts its performance and slows it down, and that for m2 ssd's its faster if u plug it directly into the motherboard. for that reason i plan to put the new m2 in my desktop and put my old ssd on the xbox. but i have a few questions.

1. from what ive read, its possible to run any nvme m.2 ssd in any pci-e slot from x1 to x16. so if i wanted to i could run the m.2 with like 1inch of "teeth" thru the side of the pci-e x16 with the small divided section, leaving most of the pci-e x16 slot open, and the ssd would still function. is this really true? if so, would switching an nvme m2 from the x16 slot to the x1 slot cause a degradation of performance? is the nvme m.2 faster/better in the x16 slot?

2. last xmas i got my brother a 1TB crucial mx500 m2 (not an nvme) ssd+an m2 to usb enclosure (pic linked at end of this question), to use on his xbox one s. he says it works great and is way faster than the internal drive. since the enclosures were on sale i bought a 2nd for myself cause i planned to use it in the future on my xbox when i get a new ssd. but i read that m.2s are useless on xbox one s because the usb ports on the xbox one s are too slow for the m2 ssd and entirely negate any possible speed advantage over regular ssd. is this true? this is the m.2 enclosure i have http://tinypic.com/r/mw70pf/9

3. my dell optiplex 990 is very old. i beefed it up as best i can with a 500gb regular ssd/6gb evga gtx1060/16g ddr3 ram/intel core7 3.4ghz/seasonic 620w psu. my monitor, while 1080p, is so old (id estimate 10yrs or more) it has 1x vga and 1x dvi and no hdmi ports. this is a link to the detailed specifications of my pc (minus my additions above). mine is the "MT" edition (minitower). the following link is the detailed specs list published by dell for the optiplex990 mine is the minitower version http://tinypic.com/r/2uic8sk/9

after reading about m2s being slow on xbox everyone was saying to just get a regular ssd i decided if i get a new m2 i might as well put it in my desktop and just switch out my current 500g evo to the xbox. i figured if i go that route i want the best most top of the line 500gb m2 i could find in my price range as long as its nvme. thats when i settled on the evo970. but im just worried my optiplex 990 is so old something in it (like an old mobo or ports or w/e) will prevent the evo970 from running at its full capacity, like how running a usb 3.0 flash drive runs at usb 2.0 speeds when plugged into a usb 2.0 port. do you think the pci-e slots on my old mobo (or any other components) might cause that same effect but with the nvme m2?

lastly, does anyone have any suggestions for good ssd's? my budget is like 150ish. at first i wanted 1TB for xbox1 but then i read that m.2's basically become standard ssd's when used for xbox w/ an enclosure/adapter. so i decided id just put any new m2 in my pc (which i use 20x as much as the xbox) then put my current ssd on the xbox. and im content with a 500g ssd for my desktop pc. but i dont want to spend big bux on a premium nvme and not be able to run it at full capacity on my pc. if my pc is too old and m2 nvme will be throttled similar to xbox then ill get something else.

here is a link to a pic of my motherboard with the vid card removed and all the slots open. http://tinypic.com/r/2ywyf0p/9

thanks in advance

Last edited: