[SOLVED] Will files on HDD be affected by installing new boot SSD?

Jun 12, 2021
Hey everyone,

My SSD (which contained mostly just Windows) is defective and has to be replaced. In my computer there's also an HDD that contains a lot of extremely important data that I can't afford to lose, however the HDD is still completely functional and not defective.

Here's my question: If I'm going to install a completely new SSD and load a new OS onto it, will all of the data on the HDD still be there (I obviously won't format the drive when installing the new SSD)? I'm talking about folders like Program Files, Program Files (x86) etc. will they still be there and accessible? I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thank you!

Solution
Data is one thing; folders will remain ok.
Programs is another.
Most programs have entries in the registry which are required to make them run.
On a clean windows install, you are going to get an empty registry, and such apps will need to be reinstalled.
(on a clean install, disconnect any other drives first)

If your C drive can be read properly, you can probably clone it to a ssd and preserve what you have.
Samsung ssd migration app may work for you.
Read the manual and requirements here:
Data is one thing; folders will remain ok.
Programs is another.
Most programs have entries in the registry which are required to make them run.
On a clean windows install, you are going to get an empty registry, and such apps will need to be reinstalled.
(on a clean install, disconnect any other drives first)

If your C drive can be read properly, you can probably clone it to a ssd and preserve what you have.
Samsung ssd migration app may work for you.
Read the manual and requirements here:

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
a lot of extremely important data that I can't afford to lose
Regardless of what drives are in this system, and what steps you do next....that data needs to be backed up.
That needs to be your NEXT operation.

Your SSD with Windows on it is failing?
But you have applications installed on the HDD?

The ONLY hope of maintaining those applications on the HDD is a clone operation from the current SSD to a new one.
However...if the current one is failing or glitchy, this may not work.

USAFRet

Titan
a lot of extremely important data that I can't afford to lose
Regardless of what drives are in this system, and what steps you do next....that data needs to be backed up.
That needs to be your NEXT operation.

Your SSD with Windows on it is failing?
But you have applications installed on the HDD?

The ONLY hope of maintaining those applications on the HDD is a clone operation from the current SSD to a new one.
However...if the current one is failing or glitchy, this may not work.

Jun 12, 2021
Thank you for the quick responses. To clarify, I've already come to terms with the fact that I will probably have to reinstall all programs. My main focus are files that are located within sub folders of the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories. I'm mostly talking about audio files, FL Studio project files etc. . Will those be affected by running the system on a new SSD, with a new install of Windows?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for the quick responses. To clarify, I've already come to terms with the fact that I will probably have to reinstall all programs. My main focus are files that are located within sub folders of the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories. I'm mostly talking about audio files, FL Studio project files etc. . Will those be affected by running the system on a new SSD, with a new install of Windows?
You need to move those files/folders OUT of that space, on to some other storage device.
Likely you would run into permissions issues, trying to access from a whole new OS.
That can be worked around, but easier if you move them out of that space first.
And, as said above...a backup copy is needed before any major operation like this.

Jun 12, 2021
You need to move those files/folders OUT of that space, on to some other storage device.
Likely you would run into permissions issues, trying to access from a whole new OS.
That can be worked around, but easier if you move them out of that space first.
And, as said above...a backup copy is needed before any major operation like this.

Alright, I will try to backup the data on the HDD to a flash drive before installing the SSD then. Thank you!

If you value data, you should already have some sort of EXTERNAL backup in place.
If I read the post correctly, the data in question resides on a HDD, not on the failing C drive.
Those files should be ok to read as data files when the hdd is reattached after the new windows install.

I might suggest buying a samsung ssd as a replacement.
First of all, they are about the most reliable around.

You can try the ssd migration app to copy your C drive to the new samsung ssd.
If all tests out well. you are done.

If your C drive turned out to be corrupted, you can disconnect all drives and do a clean install to the new ssd.
The original ssd and hdd can later be reconnected and whatever data was on them should be available to you.

Jun 12, 2021
If you value data, you should already have some sort of EXTERNAL backup in place.
If I read the post correctly, the data in question resides on a HDD, not on the failing C drive.
Those files should be ok to read as data files when the hdd is reattached after the new windows install.

I might suggest buying a samsung ssd as a replacement.
First of all, they are about the most reliable around.

You can try the ssd migration app to copy your C drive to the new samsung ssd.
If all tests out well. you are done.

If your C drive turned out to be corrupted, you can disconnect all drives and do a clean install to the new ssd.
The original ssd and hdd can later be reconnected and whatever data was on them should be available to you.

Indeed the data resides on the functional HDD. Good to hear that the data should be ok to read as data files after the new Windows install. To be safe I will backup the files from the HDD to an external drive before installing the new SSD, like USAFRet suggested.

Also, thanks for the SSD suggestion, I was indeed planning on buying a Samsung Evo SSD.