Question Will GPU fit to my motherboard ASRock 41c-gs

Aug 19, 2023
My motherboard is ASRock 41c-gs
And i want to change my GPU to GIGABYTE HD 6670 1GB Gddr3 128bit
Is it ok, because this GPU has a PCIE 3.0

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What CPU do you have? Power supply? A lot depends on what OS you are using when it comes to the drivers.

We are looking at pre-UEFI BIOS on a 15 year old motherboard, which means any cards made in the last few years will most likely not work in your system.

Contemporary hardware would be something like the 200 series from Nvidia or the Radeon 4000 series from AMD.

The cards you are looking at had release dates in 2010-2012 or so and should be fine to work with older boards.

Geforce 730, 740, 630, 640 would be okay as these are also pre-UEFI compliant (Stopped around 2014). GT1030 and up would likely not work.
Radeon 6670 should be alright, and anything before the AMD RX series so stopping around the R5/R7 400 series (2016).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, a GTX 750 Ti tends to be the best Nvidia card that can typically be safely recommended for pre-UEFI PCs. Legacy support after that becomes incredibly hit-and-miss (and more miss over time).

Though as always with a decade-old GPU that was very entry-level when it was new, the biggest issue can sometimes be expectations. If you just want to get the PC running and maybe play AAA games from 2007 or so, it'll probably work fine. I remember throwing in an HD 4670 -- more or less the same performance as the 5670 and 6670 -- into a friend's PC at the time so they could play Elder Scrolls Oblivion. But if you're hoping to modernize the PC with something like this, that's probably not going to happen; in 2023 terms, it's a GPU that allows you to play solitaire.

It'll work, but that card would be nothing more than a glorified video adapter these days (and not really all that glorified). If you just want the PC for things like watching videos and office applications at 1080p, then that card will do what you want it to.