Will I be able to do a clean install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orkweh

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
So I'm not sure how this will work, will I be able to make a DVD or a USB with W10 and perform a clean install?
Can I do this right away after downloading the 3GB? Or do I have to upgrade and then perform a clean install after that?

My 8.1 is a full retail license, will the W10 upgrade become this as well? Will my key be locked to W10 after the upgrade or can I still use it with W8.1?

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution

For the first time, you will need to do an upgrade. After upgrading, you can do a clean install anytime you want by clicking the skip option on screen when it asks for a key and it will activate automatically on connecting it to internet. Later, if you decide to install windows 8.1, then you can do that using the...

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Going from 8.1 to 10 can be done in-place without having to do a clean install. If you have an OS like 7 or older, that's when you have to reinstall everything. Your key was originally bought as Windows 8.1 so you will be able to go back to that if necessary. What I don't know, is what will happen if you revert to 8.1 an then decide to upgrade again after the 1 year free offer has passed.

orkweh

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

I want to do a clean install anyway, it just feels wrong or like there could be problems if I don't do it. I want to start fresh and install all drivers etc.
Do you know if it can be done right away or if I have to do the upgrade first, and then when I'm running W10 I can make a bootable usb and perfrom a clean install?

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
If it's like the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 than yes. The application that Microsoft provided for creating the install media, asks for the key from 8. Then it creates a DVD/USB or .iso for Windows 8.1 that is a full installation and can be used on a clean HDD.

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
according to computerworld, durring the upgrade program you should have the option to choose clean install and you should have the option to make a clean installation usb stick, for future istallations.
This is what I have read, so I can't confirm it.

Akr706

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014

For the first time, you will need to do an upgrade. After upgrading, you can do a clean install anytime you want by clicking the skip option on screen when it asks for a key and it will activate automatically on connecting it to internet. Later, if you decide to install windows 8.1, then you can do that using the key you got with your license. We are not yet sure how will we will get an ISO for clean install but Microsoft will definitely provide a way for it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.