Question Will I get bottleneck?

dooleysj84

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade my pc from an i5 4440 with 1050 ti and 8gb ram to something like ryzen 5 2600x with 16gb of ram with a new motherboard but same GPU
So, I would just like some advice on if there will be any bottleneck or not. I have looked around other threads and other forums and seen that it seems to work well. Is this right or is this going to cause issues?
If this is going to cause bottleneck issues then what would you suggest to go for?
Any Help would be much appreciated.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Bottleneck is a badly misused term.

Some part is almost always going to hold you back.

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is your monitor's FreeSync Range?
  • The brand and exact model number of your monitor will help as well.

What games do you play, and what is your goal? Max details at 60fps? Ultra-high frame rates with lower details? Something else?

dooleysj84

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
Bottleneck is a badly misused term.

Some part is almost always going to hold you back.

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is your monitor's FreeSync Range?
  • The brand and exact model number of your monitor will help as well.
What games do you play, and what is your goal? Max details at 60fps? Ultra-high frame rates with lower details? Something else?
Thanks for the quick reply. Heres the info you wanted.

I have 2 monitors:
monitor 1: Hanns g HT231 (from what I can see)
Resolution: 1080p
Refresh rate: 60Hz
Don't know about GSYNC but I have VSYNC. (if thats the same sort of thing)
Monitor2: Dell (can't see a model number)
resolution:1440x900
refresh rate: 60Hz
don't know about any sort of SYNC.

I only use my first monitor for my games. Second monitor often has like discord or steam or something like that on it.

I am looking for decent frames like 60+ with decent detail (not like Ultra everything but not low everything is preferrable) on games like R6 siege, rust, csgo and GTA 5 among others.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, FreeSync and GSync are adaptive sync technologies, where the monitor's refresh rate can be adjusted on the fly to match the number of frames the video card is putting out.

It used to be the case that FreeSync was AMD only (but it is an open standard from VESA) and GSync was a proprietary Nvidia technology, and cost more. These days, Nvidia's 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards will also support FreeSync.

In any case, you don't have either form of adaptive sync technologies.

Given that your gaming monitor is 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, then you're limited to 60 fps. Even if the video card could go faster, the monitor can only display 60 frames/second. This is with VSync on. If you turn off VSync, and if the card could display faster, you'll get the "tearing" effect (part of one frame drawn on the top of the screen, then partway down, the next frame starts being drawn).

The 1050Ti can manage 1920x1080 at low-to-medium settings at 60 fps on more modern games. I think your current CPU should handle things pretty well for the most part, though the more recent games, it might fall short.

I would suggest trying to run HWInfo64, and monitor CPU, GPU, and RAM utilization. For the CPU, you'll want to view the utilization of each core.

If anything tends to max out at 100% for short periods frequently, or for an extended time, then that's likely your weak point. If nothing ever hits 100% or only occasionally does so for a very short time, then your system is probably good as is.