[SOLVED] Will i need a new motherboard + RAM for a new cpu

CaolanD

Honorable
Sep 26, 2015
To be able to play games i really need to upgrade my cpu but the problem i think i might have is that im going to have to change both my ram and motherboard to accomadate for a new decent 1151 socket cpu, i listed down a few of my specs that might be related. Atm i dont have much money to splash out on new parts but hopefully come summertime that wont be the case. would really like a person with a lot more experience with computers for advice for my problem.
thanks in advance.

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr HDMI DVI-I DP Graphics Card (4GB, PCI Express, DDR5, 256 Bit)
Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 84W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)
HyperX FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Black

Solution
MSI Z97 Gaming 3 - CPU Support List

The above link shows a list of all the supported processors for your current motherboard. The best processor here is still just a 4th generation Intel CoreI7 processor (I7-4790K)

If you want a newer processor, then yes. You will need a new motherboard and new RAM. I'd say, at a minimum, you're going to need around $350 for a core system upgrade (3rd Gen Ryzen 5/16GB DDR4)

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
MSI Z97 Gaming 3 - CPU Support List

The above link shows a list of all the supported processors for your current motherboard. The best processor here is still just a 4th generation Intel CoreI7 processor (I7-4790K)

If you want a newer processor, then yes. You will need a new motherboard and new RAM. I'd say, at a minimum, you're going to need around $350 for a core system upgrade (3rd Gen Ryzen 5/16GB DDR4)

-Wolf sends

Solution
To be able to play games i really need to upgrade my cpu but the problem i think i might have is that im going to have to change both my ram and motherboard to accomadate for a new decent 1151 socket cpu, i listed down a few of my specs that might be related. Atm i dont have much money to splash out on new parts but hopefully come summertime that wont be the case. would really like a person with a lot more experience with computers for advice for my problem.
thanks in advance.

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr HDMI DVI-I DP Graphics Card (4GB, PCI Express, DDR5, 256 Bit)
Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 84W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)
HyperX FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Black
Which games will you be playing?
Which resolution and refreshrate (Hz)?

clementttttttt

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Choose ryzen as your new cpu instead cuz ryzens generally have better performance than their intel counterparts at the same price. And the answer to your question is yes, cuz ryzen uses DDR4 instead of DDR3 and you can't get a ryzen into an intel board. I would suggest a Ryzen 5 2600/2600x in your case, or a Ryzen 5 3500x if you're living in China.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

If you want a newer processor, then yes.

4790k might be "the best processor", but if he had wanted a newer one , he could still keep his motherboard and get a 5775c. (couldn't resist this non-sense which, ironically, is 100% factually accurate!)

But without confusing anyone, if you are (OP) not after simply a "newer" than 4790k CPU, but are looking for a substantial upgrade over your 4460, then you will need a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

On the other hand, if you need a bit of a bump to your games, a used 4770k or 4790k along with a decent CPU cooler might do just that for about $100. First, you'd gain 8 threads over your current CPU's 4, and secondly, you will be able to easily overclock that "k" processor to 4.5Ghz.

Now, will this "investment" into an old 4770k or 4790k give you enough performance bump? I do not know. I do know that after I upgraded my poor overclocking 3570k to an i7 3770k which now runs at 4.5Ghz, it gave me enough oomph to enjoy Battlefield V where as before it had stutters.