[SOLVED] Will I truly need anything beyond Windows built-in hdd optimizer/defragger? (question about third party apps)

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Do they really offer anything? most of them are from companies that I don't really trust, what I'm gaining by paying for their apps?
windows defragmenter tool doesn't do It's job if I was to defrag very large, separate files on my HDDs or all of them are just a gimmick?

Windows runs defragging and optimization in the background when there's spare cycles. In the past 11 or so years, I've never had to manually run the defragger because it always reports <5% fragmentation.

Also last I bothered to check, fragmentation isn't much of a problem on HDDs anyway unless you're well past 50%. I'm pretty sure this has to do with how SATA commands are processed to read/write data in a way that physically makes sense instead of logically (i.e., how much data can the head pick up or write out in a revolution based on the addresses of where the data is located?).

Do they really offer anything? most of them are from companies that I don't really trust, what I'm gaining by paying for their apps?
windows defragmenter tool doesn't do It's job if I was to defrag very large, separate files on my HDDs or all of them are just a gimmick?
Windows defrag may have been a little wimpy years ago.
I don't think that applies today.
Just setup the optimize task and let windows figure out when a defrag is needed.

Might you wonder how such outfits make their money?
At the very least, expect to have everything you do be tracked and reported for sale.
At worst, you can get malware or viruses.
They make money by selling similar or other products with more features as "Professional" and or are part of larger corporation. By giving away some useful and popular SW they get their name known.