[SOLVED] will intel hd graphics still be used if I plug monitor via display port cable directly into graphics card?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 17, 2019
it's going to be a desktop with a K processor with a maximus xi formula mobo and i'll be plugging the monitor with a display port cable directly into dedicated gpu. The gpu will be in the top slot of mobo. In that case will intel hd be used AT ALL? I don't care if it's rarely used, i don't want to use intel hd graphics AT ALL to maximize performance

Feb 17, 2019
Yes, I am certain.
Your discrete graphics card, in a desktop system, with the monitor plugged in to the GPU, will never switch to an iGPU. Not only would it never do that, its not possible either.

Where are you seeing conflicting info from?
according to the latest comments, SkyNetRising is saying that windows can still bypass the gpu and use intel hd in power saving mode

according to the latest comments, SkyNetRising is saying that windows can still bypass the gpu and use intel hd in power saving mode
It doesnt default to power saving mode, so unless you manually change windows settings, your IGPU wont be used.
a solid way so that nothing ever uses intel hd BESIDES disabling it in bios, sorryXD I still want it on IN CASE gpu malfunctions

Disable IGPU in bios.
If you need the IGPU for troubleshooting later on: Clear CMOS by removing the RTC battery and putting it back in. This will reenable the IGPU.

Feb 17, 2019
That also raises the issue of having to enable the iGPU in the first place.
By default, with a discrete card and no motherboard connections, it should be disabled.
but some of the answers seem to suggest it can still be used at times of need. I believe it was mentioned that the latest feature of windows 10 makes it so that intel hd can be used EVEN if monitor is connected to gpu which i find is an absolutely stupid feature