[SOLVED] Will Intel Rapid Storage Technology BIOS settings be reset by changing CMOS battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2021
Hey all, thanks in advance if anybody's got some advice. Apologies for the crudely phrased question. I have two Samsung SSDs using Intel Rapid Storage Technology in a Raid 1 (mirror) configuration as my C: drive. I believe this is dependent on some BIOS settings being set properly.

I need to change the CMOS battery on my machine. Can anybody say whether that is that going to nuke any BIOS settings that would be needed for my Windows 10 install to boot and run? Am I going to have to reconfigure this after changing the battery? Reinstall anything? Do I need to do some prep, e.g. go into the BIOS and page through all the settings so I know how everything is supposed to be set?

Solution
Depends on the drives & how you made the raid. If you made the array in the Ctrl+i bios utility and the drives are sata then the raid config is written on the drives themselves, all you need to do is enter the bios and turn raid mode back on.

If you have n NVME boot drive though, you'll lose booting when you pull the battery.
Hey all, thanks in advance if anybody's got some advice. Apologies for the crudely phrased question. I have two Samsung SSDs using Intel Rapid Storage Technology in a Raid 1 (mirror) configuration as my C: drive. I believe this is dependent on some BIOS settings being set properly.

I need to change the CMOS battery on my machine. Can anybody say whether that is that going to nuke any BIOS settings that would be needed for my Windows 10 install to boot and run? Am I going to have to reconfigure this after changing the battery? Reinstall anything? Do I need to do some prep, e.g. go into the BIOS and page through all the settings so I know how everything is supposed to be set?
When you take CMOS battery out it resets BIOS to factory defaults so you loose any changes you may have made.
Depends on MB and it's BIOS but many modern ones have way to save settings and then reapply them. Check MB manual about that feature.
If not, you'll have to take pictures of all relevant settings or write them down to apply again after changing battery.

Endre

Reputable

Hello!

I, too, have 2 NVMe drives in RAID_0.
If you’ll remove the battery, you’ll lose the RAID configuration with all of the infos located on it.

You need to backup all the infos before proceeding.
Then, you’ll have to delete the RAID configuration (which will be unusable at that point), then you’ll have to create a new one.

Oct 1, 2021
Hello!

I, too, have 2 NVMe drives in RAID_0.
If you’ll remove the battery, you’ll lose the RAID configuration with all of the infos located on it.

You need to backup all the infos before proceeding.
Then, you’ll have to delete the RAID configuration (which will be unusable at that point), then you’ll have to create a new one.

Thanks very much for the information. Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not sure I fully understand, are you saying I'll actually have to wipe & reinstall Windows and everything on the drives, or just that I will have to reset all of the RAID configuration settings? (In that case, I assume I would need to do all of that before attempting to boot into Windows?)

Sorry for my confusion!

Oct 1, 2021
When you take CMOS battery out it resets BIOS to factory defaults so you loose any changes you may have made.
Depends on MB and it's BIOS but many modern ones have way to save settings and then reapply them. Check MB manual about that feature.
If not, you'll have to take pictures of all relevant settings or write them down to apply again after changing battery.

Cheers, thank you for the reply!

Endre

Reputable
Thanks very much for the information. Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not sure I fully understand, are you saying I'll actually have to wipe & reinstall Windows and everything on the drives, or just that I will have to reset all of the RAID configuration settings? (In that case, I assume I would need to do all of that before attempting to boot into Windows?)

Sorry for my confusion!

Hello!

Yes.
•By removing the battery you will lose the RAID configuration with all the data stored on it.
•You’ll have to delete the RAID (which will be unusable); then you’ll be able to re-create another RAID configuration.
•You’ll have to re-install Windows.

popatim

Titan
Depends on the drives & how you made the raid. If you made the array in the Ctrl+i bios utility and the drives are sata then the raid config is written on the drives themselves, all you need to do is enter the bios and turn raid mode back on.

If you have n NVME boot drive though, you'll lose booting when you pull the battery.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.