coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hi helloo,,
So my friend got a system like this :
hmmmm,,,, i forgot :D :D
but i do remember that he use a GTS 250 and a core 2 duo @ 2.66 ghz,,
my question is : will it be okay if he keep using his corsair 480/450 watts (i also forgot, but its below 500 watts :D ) power supply?

P.S. : sorry for these incomplete information :) :) :)

A 450 watt Corsair will power that system fine. Corsairs are rated conservatively enough that many other manufacturers, if they made the same PSU, would rate them 100 watts higher.

coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
really? that good? i've they made a good PSU a lot..
but that good? its just wow!!

does the HX VX TX thing give a big diference in performance?

VX, I don't know. HX are models with modular cabling. TX is regular cabling. No difference in performance; modular is a little more convenient.

I have a 750TX. One of the tech sites that really test PSU's said they pulled 900 watts out of one before it electronically shut itself down. Another site tested a 550. They were able to pull 650 watts out of it before it shut down.

One of the other things I like about Corsair is that they rate their PSU's for full rated output at 50 C. Most of the manufacturers rate at 25 C. or don't even say. This is important because solid state electronics produce less power as they heat up. What I have seen indicates that you need to derate the output about 1% - 2% per degree C. in operating temperature. A 620 watt Corsair will produce 620 watts at 50C. You will be lucky to get 480 watts out of a regular 600 watt PSU at 50 C.

The 50 C. spec is hard enough to meet that many manufacturers simply do not try.