Will Linux (Debian) work on this hardware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

consolegamer

Reputable
May 23, 2014
I'm planning on building a computer sometime this year or early next year, and the components I'm looking at are...

Intel Celeron G1820
MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA 1150 mobo
Kingston Blu 4GB DDR3 1600 memory
nVidia GeForce GT 740

I'm planning on running Debian, although I've heard it has issues with new hardware. Would this present problems for me if I chose to use these components, and if so, how old should the components I use be? Also, if Debian doesn't work with this hardware, is there a relatively stable distro I could use with these components until Debian supports them?

Solution
Yes; you can run Debian Wheezy on that. And actually, old isn't always better. You're better off getting parts that are a few years old. The biggest issue is usually the graphics card support. Unlike with Squeeze, where it's a pain in the ass, dkms does make easy work installing drivers for most cards. That said, I recommend you stick with nvidia. You can easily Google a list of graphics cards that dkms supports.