[SOLVED] Will MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 run in Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower?

Ravoblex

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
My PC kicked the bucket, and I'm replacing it with something as close to the same specs as I can find. I don't know which motherboard the Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower uses, so I need a little help determining if the MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 will work with this new PC. I know the stock PSU will be underpowered, so will the motherboard take a PSU to power the 970 GTX (and an SSD and and three hard drives )?

I'm thinking not, but if you guys have any good news for me, I'd appreciate it. If the card won't word, please let me know the max power PSU the board will take and how many platter drive it will accommodate. Thanks.

Solution
The motherboard on the 7040 has a proprietary power input/output connector so that would mean you're artificially limited(240W) to your PSU choices(and form factor) and that would also mean you can't drop in aftermarket GPU that will need a higher wattage PSU. Simple answer is the PSU in the MT won't do it and you can't upgrade the PSU either...simple answer don't bother.

What were you working with prior to the mishap? Perhaps you could look at a new build with minimal investments, like sourcing replacement parts...?

Lutfij

Titan
The motherboard on the 7040 has a proprietary power input/output connector so that would mean you're artificially limited(240W) to your PSU choices(and form factor) and that would also mean you can't drop in aftermarket GPU that will need a higher wattage PSU. Simple answer is the PSU in the MT won't do it and you can't upgrade the PSU either...simple answer don't bother.

What were you working with prior to the mishap? Perhaps you could look at a new build with minimal investments, like sourcing replacement parts...?

Reactions: Ravoblex
Solution

Ravoblex

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014

Ravoblex

Honorable

Jul 26, 201423010,5100
Apr 21, 2021
The bricked PC was an iBuyPower Windows 10 PC with the latest update. intel Core i7 Haswell with ASRock Z97 Board. 16GB DDR3 RAM. Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card with the latest drivers.

I have another question. How many hard drives can I add to that motherboard? Analog 3.5 SATA drives?

I have a limited budget and could only afford enough for the replacement PC. I'm transplanting the SATA drives from the bricked PC. My budget is $400.00

Last edited: