Question Will my CPU be a bottleneck if I upgrade the RAM ?

Jul 21, 2024
I've been looking to upgrade an almost 15-year old Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990 laptop. I've taken a good look at the RAM specifications: 3GB of PC2-6400S at 800MHz. I've been planning to upgrade this laptop to 8GB for a month now, but I'm having serious reservations. I'm worried that even if I upgrade, my 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 won't be able to keep up.

I'm considering overclocking, but there's only so much heat an old laptop like this can take before something goes pop. I've looked at htop repeatedly, and from what I see, any time I'm loading some complex web page, both cores’ usage pretty much always reaches higher percentages than RAM usage, although the RAM usage usually stays between 1.5 and 1.8 out of a total 3GB, so that tells me that some might be reserved/hidden for other things, but I doubt it.

Oh, additional information: I have a 320GB SATA HDD running at 5400 RPM max. I don't have a swap file, per my own choice. The laptop in question runs Manjaro, for performance concerns (obvious concerns). Given all this info I've compiled (hah, pun), I'm not sure whether I should overclock or forego an upgrade. For the moment, getting a new laptop is altogether out of the question.

Jul 21, 2024
Windows is generally pretty good at adjusting what the system needs, and what the system can provide.

Given 3GB RAM, nothing is 'hidden'.
I stated in the given information that this laptop runs Manjaro (a lightweight Linux distro based on Arch), due to performance concerns. Also, I do like the picture. This laptop keyboard is filled with crumbs and whatnot, so it fits, haha. I do need to make a backup, though, but I'm looking for a USB that can take the data size.

USAFRet

Titan
I stated in the given information that this laptop runs Manjaro (a lightweight Linux distro based on Arch), due to performance concerns. Also, I do like the picture. This laptop keyboard is filled with crumbs and whatnot, so it fits, haha. I do need to make a backup, though, but I'm looking for a USB that can take the data size.
Sorry, I missed that in the block of text.

In any case, more RAM is not a 'bottleneck'.
It may not really help, but it won't hurt.

increasing the ram will actually improve performance not hinder it.

make sure its a kit

like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22618953...E3Z4xF9z8OFJ-KgWKtuppZBprVa_prKRoCjTYQAvD_BwE

a sata ssd will give you a much bigger improvement. it will most likely run at a slower bandwidth depending on the hard drive slot.

more ram will make running stuff smoother.
ssd will load stuff quicker.

both will help the low end processor

I've given serious consideration to swapping out that HDD as a next step. The potential bottleneck is still on the processor, as stated before.
A SSD will improve your experience period I have a couple of Core 2 era CPUs that was night and day making the swap. Nothing can fix your CPU deficiency, but that doesn't mean that you still won't notice the difference. As you said a new laptop is off the table right now so if you're trying to make your experience with this one better a SSD would go further.

I've given serious consideration to swapping out that HDD as a next step. The potential bottleneck is still on the processor, as stated before.
So, I guess here are my questions. Where are you located, and how much were you looking to spend on upgrading the ram and the hdd to an SSD on this laptop? I ask, because depending on what that is, you may be able to get a used laptop that's miles ahead of this thing for as much.

Jul 21, 2024
One thing I definitely should have said outright is that despite the age of the laptop, it runs multiple browser tabs and apps nicely, and barely lags, or at least not very noticeably, if significant. With the current smoothness of the computer given this lightweight operating system, I do somewhat doubt that a memory increase would give much in return. An upgrade is more of a general convenience thing. However, one thing I would like to decrease is the boot time, although once I boot it up and login, I usually keep it on, but asleep, until the end of the day. That's another factor in buying memory.

Reactions: artk2219

USAFRet

Titan
One thing I definitely should have said outright is that despite the age of the laptop, it runs multiple browser tabs and apps nicely, and barely lags, or at least not very noticeably, if significant. With the current smoothness of the computer given this lightweight operating system, I do somewhat doubt that a memory increase would give much in return. An upgrade is more of a general convenience thing. However, one thing I would like to decrease is the boot time, although once I boot it up and login, I usually keep it on, but asleep, until the end of the day. That's another factor in buying memory.
Swap the HDD for a 2.5" SATA SSD.

You'll wonder why you did not do this before.

Reactions: sata for latuh
Jul 21, 2024
increasing the ram will actually improve performance not hinder it.

make sure its a kit

like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22618953...E3Z4xF9z8OFJ-KgWKtuppZBprVa_prKRoCjTYQAvD_BwE

a sata ssd will give you a much bigger improvement. it will most likely run at a slower bandwidth depending on the hard drive slot.

more ram will make running stuff smoother.
ssd will load stuff quicker.

both will help the low end processor
When searching online for memory, the best prices are on eBay (gee, I wonder why). But yes, I predominantly see memory kits instead of individual modules for the specific specification and amount that I'm searching for. I can't say much for SSDs, as I haven't done pricing research on them yet. If I have, it's definitely not significant or noteworthy information.

Jul 21, 2024
So, I guess here are my questions. Where are you located, and how much were you looking to spend on upgrading the ram and the hdd to an SSD on this laptop? I ask, because depending on what that is, you may be able to get a used laptop that's miles ahead of this thing for as much.
I do have a resource that I've given thought to: Raki E-Waste and Electronics Recycling. As per your questions, I'm located in the United States, and I'm willing to pay around 80 dollars, given the prices I've seen so far. That's what seems reasonable for RAM. As for SSDs, I haven't done enough research to decipher a fair price. I only know that the SSD must be SATA.

I do have a resource that I've given thought to: Raki E-Waste and Electronics Recycling. As per your questions, I'm located in the United States, and I'm willing to pay around 80 dollars, given the prices I've seen so far. That's what seems reasonable for RAM. As for SSDs, I haven't done enough research to decipher a fair price. I only know that the SSD must be SATA.
You can find some pretty serviceable laptops for 80 dollars. Dell latitude 5470's and 5480's are common, there are also the 5570 and 5580's if you want a 15" instead of 14" laptop. They would be much newer and faster than your current laptop for about as much as you were looking to spend upgrading it.

5470, i5 quad core, 8gb ram, 250gb ssd

Jul 21, 2024
https://gadgetaz.com/Laptop/Toshiba_Satellite_L505-S5990--1348

Although this link does confirm your laptop runs the 3 Gb of memory It does not say the max it can take or if the 3 is the max.

Back in the day it was all over the map some Core 2 Duo took a max of 4Gb some 6Gb and some 8 Gb. I'm all for jacking the laptop up to max but can it take the full 8Gb 2x4 ?
I'm not sure. I plan to go to good ol’ Best Buy for this. Hopefully, they'll let me test out the memory there, but that's unlikely.

Jul 21, 2024
You can find some pretty serviceable laptops for 80 dollars. Dell latitude 5470's and 5480's are common, there are also the 5570 and 5580's if you want a 15" instead of 14" laptop. They would be much newer and faster than your current laptop for about as much as you were looking to spend upgrading it.

5470, i5 quad core, 8gb ram, 250gb ssd
I don't know. If I were to get a new laptop, I'd want a ThinkPad, or a Framework laptop if I felt really daring. The problem with the latter is that I don't know <Mod Edit>about laptop motherboards. (hey, cool, ctrl+B works in this text box) I'd consider a serviceable laptop as one with which I can replace components without taking the entire back panel off, or desoldering a bunch of <Mod Edit>. Working with solder is, tbch, a big no-go for me. Best to leave that to the pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. If I were to get a new laptop, I'd want a ThinkPad, or a Framework laptop if I felt really daring. The problem with the latter is that I don't know <Mod Edit>about laptop motherboards. (hey, cool, ctrl+B works in this text box) I'd consider a serviceable laptop as one with which I can replace components without taking the entire back panel off, or desoldering a bunch of <Mod Edit>. Working with solder is, tbch, a big no-go for me. Best to leave that to the pros.
I meant serviceable as in usable hah. It would be a much newer and faster machine than your current one for roughly how much you were looking to spend upgrading it is what I was getting at. Most new laptops are not fully field serviceable though. About the best you can hope for is that it lets you upgrade the ram and SSD, and you can replace the battery. You honestly can't count on more than that from pretty much any manufacturer currently. Incidentally these latitudes do allow you to upgrade the RAM and SSD, and you can replace the battery.

Last edited:
When searching online for memory, the best prices are on eBay (gee, I wonder why). But yes, I predominantly see memory kits instead of individual modules for the specific specification and amount that I'm searching for. I can't say much for SSDs, as I haven't done pricing research on them yet. If I have, it's definitely not significant or noteworthy information.
For Such a old laptop pricing your looking at 256- 512gb anything above those SSD then you may as well buy a used newer laptop.

Ram will help alot with webrowsing etc as Chrome etc are greedy. Keep in mind your integrated graphics take a portion of memory as well.