Question Will my GA-H110M-H support nvme as boot drive via "nvme to pcie3.0 x16 adapter" ?

Nov 26, 2022

I have GA-H110M-H motherboard (bios updated to version F24) coupled with i3 7100 processor, motherboard don't have dedicated m.2 slot but has pcie gen3.0 x16 slot which I am planning to install m.2 nvme ssd (samsung 980) as I am upgrading from old HDD. So my question is can I install nvme ssd in my motherboard's pcie x16 slot via "nvme to pcie x16 adapter" ? if yes then can I use it as boot drive for my windows 10 ?
poTHikCPj

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Looks like Gigabyte were lazy with their dev team's writing of the BIOS options, seeing how the motherboard doesn't have a physical M.2 slot on the board. I'd advise against getting a PCIe expansion card to drop an NVMe in there and instead look into a SATA based 2.5" SSD. One other thing to note, the amount of dust build up in your pics shown would indicate you either have one fan doing all the work for airflow in your case, which is also detrimental to an NVMe SSD that's running upside down.

Simple answer, don't spend too much on your current platform with an NVMe drive, get a 2.5" SSD instead.

Nov 26, 2022
Looks like Gigabyte were lazy with their dev team's writing of the BIOS options, seeing how the motherboard doesn't have a physical M.2 slot on the board. I'd advise against getting a PCIe expansion card to drop an NVMe in there and instead look into a SATA based 2.5" SSD. One other thing to note, the amount of dust build up in your pics shown would indicate you either have one fan doing all the work for airflow in your case, which is also detrimental to an NVMe SSD that's running upside down.

Simple answer, don't spend too much on your current platform with an NVMe drive, get a 2.5" SSD instead.

I am trying to get 870 evo but its out of stock in local market as well as on amazon, I don't want to go for any cheaper alternatives. Even local vendors are suggesting me to go with nvme instead of waiting for 870 evo, in fact sausung 980 nvme is cheaper than 870 evo even after additional adapter cost and no wait time. I will be adding more fans for better cooling once I figure out how to use nvme as boot drive else I would have to upgrade the whole system which is working brilliantly well except faster storage. I thought to ask this question here in this forum after watching following
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2xujrMlzlE

Lutfij

Titan
out of stock in local market
Where would that be?

Local vendors will suggest their own products since they have their own agendas(please read, their own product sale quota for the month or year combined). Save your money, get a 2.5" SSD. You might also want to understand that compatibility with aftermarket unbranded adapters that adapt a PCIe slot into an NVMe caddy are pretty much hit/miss. You're willing to spend more time and money trying to reverse engineer a setup that may or may not work as opposed to working with things you have at hand.

To also add, why are you fixated with Samsung gear? You could pick up pretty much any other branded 2.5" SSD .

Nov 26, 2022
out of stock in local market
Where would that be?

Local vendors will suggest their own products since they have their own agendas(please read, their own product sale quota for the month or year combined). Save your money, get a 2.5" SSD. You might also want to understand that compatibility with aftermarket unbranded adapters that adapt a PCIe slot into an NVMe caddy are pretty much hit/miss. You're willing to spend more time and money trying to reverse engineer a setup that may or may not work as opposed to working with things you have at hand.

To also add, why are you fixated with Samsung gear? You could pick up pretty much any other branded 2.5" SSD .

I had bad experience with crucial mx500 which I had installed in one of the workstation, they gave up within 2 years from purchase, never had any issues with samsung so far. I would be transforming this system as data lake and plugging it with third party data vendor from where huge amounts of real time tick data would be dumping in my system every single second, so can't cut corners.