[SOLVED] Will My Old Core i7 Bottleneck the GTX 1080 Ti 11GB?

khaled_82

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
My PC Specs:

i7-980x (no oc)
GIGABYTE X58A-UD7
G.Skill 16GB DDR3-2133 memory
SSD 256 GB WD 1 TB
Evga 850w g3 PSU
Windows 8.1 Professional

1/Will My Old Core i7-980x Bottleneck the GTX 1080 Ti 11GB?
2/Is my i7-980x still good enough for 1440p or 1080p gaming ?

Solution
In fact a 1080Ti will run slower than a GTX 780 or even older GPUs with your CPU. The strong GPU will tax the CPU, the CPU won't keep up with GPU demands it will run 100% on all cores and might overheat.

Either get the best >7 y.o. GPU or build a new system and sell what you have.

maz3nugget

Reputable
Jan 4, 2020
It really depends on what game you are playing but from what I understand, it will bottleneck it to a certain degree but you should be fine as long as you arent playing games that are very cpu intensive. You should be able to play games at 1080p but I dont think you will get very good fps if try to run 1440p.

In fact a 1080Ti will run slower than a GTX 780 or even older GPUs with your CPU. The strong GPU will tax the CPU, the CPU won't keep up with GPU demands it will run 100% on all cores and might overheat.

Either get the best >7 y.o. GPU or build a new system and sell what you have.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, people - ok, not everyone is flat out dunkin' on the old 980X.

@khaled_82
Yes, it's not the strongest combination, if you haven't gotten the message yet, but it's certainly playable, if you're fine with over 100fps on low and 60fps - maybe more - on ultra.
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/com...hz-vs-intel-core-i7-980x-3-33ghz/low-vs-ultra

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtwejm1Yn1A

[Yes, I'm aware this video is from 2018, but some of the samples in there are still relevant today.]

1. yes
  2. yes, if you turn down the detail
Edited for clarity. :)

Actually, if your CPU were bottlenecking a graphics card, turning down settings is not what you want as you would actually hurt your performance. What you want to do is turn settings as high as they will go on order to try to make your GPU work harder so that hopefully the CPU will start keeping up.

That being said, kind of shocking that cpu keeps up that well according to the video. I guess what you want to do is overclock as high as your CPU will go and start saving money.

Last edited:
Yes by technical means as everything bottlenecks everywhere, but the thing is that this CPU is bellow min recommends nowadays, so its not a matter of bottleneck, its a matter of being inadequate, the irony is that, for example, it outputs what it outputs and its weak enough to not get 60FPS locked with a 2080Ti, but then in a few years a 4080Ti being so powerful by itself can run along with that process maintaining the 60 FPS. Not ideal ofc, its always better to keep an harminous combination inside your case, and that CPU is not anymore.

Wolfshadw

Titan
@khaled_82 - Do you intend to upgrade your processor/motherboard/RAM anytime soon? If so, then there's no reason not to get the best graphics card you can afford. Either the GTX 1080Ti or any of the RTX series as suggestion in your previous thread.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Phaaze88
Overclock that bad boy, I run a 32x133 @ 1.382v on my 980x for 4.2Ghz. GHz to Ghz it will beat my 4670k in multi thread stuff and is just behind my brothers 4970k at the same speed. Its when its doing single thread stuff that the newer cpus will destroy it.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Darylcheshire

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
Of course it will bottleneck by more than 50%. You are trying to run a 10 y.o. CPU with a modern GPU.

Not 50% I am running the i7-980 overclocked to 4GHz with a GTX1080, and it runs fine, a few years ago I bought a better case with 120mm fans and a sealed CPU water cooler.
I noticed up to around 2016 or so that Intel CPUs were only incrementally faster and ran on less power.
Even now on gameplaying it runs fine and delivers respectable benchmarks.
I played Doom on it when it came out.
The mobo is a Gigabyte with solid caps but my main concern is that the 10 yo mobo may die suddenly. I have wondered given that motherboards are not that expensive if it is feasible to buy 2 mobos at the same time in case one dies after warranty.
Bit like buying 2 pants with a suit jacket.