[SOLVED] Will my parts be good enough for a motherboard and cpu and a gpu upgrade

Robert_187

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Current build

Case: NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Gaming Case - Black
- Power Supply: Super Flower 750W PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Quad Core Devils Canyon Haswell Processor overclocked to 4.4GHz
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
- Cooler: Deepcool Lucifer Large Tower Cooler
- RAM: up to 16GB (2x4GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Primary and Secondary SSD & HDD Options Available
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX Graphics Card configured in SLI
- Sound: High Definition 7.1 Onboard Sound Card

I am looking to replace the cpu with an i9 9900k no overclocking and a compatible motherboard
Either a Rtx 2080 or the new Radeon vii
32 gb of ddr4 ram
will my cooler and fans and psu be good enough for that set up with no overclock
?

Solution

Yeah, unless you are just dying to spend some money, I would hold off on the CPU for now becuase the performance bump wont justify the cost. If you got a used 4790k for around...
Is this for gaming? If this is a gaming rig I would hold off on the CPU/Mobo/RAM and just go for the GPU and maybe a used 4790k. Your platform will be pretty close to gaming performance of the 9900k (probably withing 15% of the fps). Wait till Intel and AMD release their next gen GPUs and the performance bump, in gaming, may be worth the cost.

If you are using it for a worksation and can use the cores of the 9900k, then go for it. Your current parts should be good to go.

Robert_187

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

yes it's for gaming only mainly Fps and some mmo's and some Rts games left out my current gpu is a gtx 970

Yeah, unless you are just dying to spend some money, I would hold off on the CPU for now becuase the performance bump wont justify the cost. If you got a used 4790k for around $200, you would be looking at about 15% fewer fps than you would with the 9900k. Given the 9900k will require a mobo and RAM, you are looking at $800 or more.

The GPU is where you will get the benefit. Also, pairing the 2080 with a nice 1440p monitor would be a good move as well. Moving up in resolution makes the CPU matter even less as the bottleneck moves to the GPU when you go to higher res.

Also, for what it is worth, no game uses more than 16gb of RAM. Any unused RAM will just sit idle doing nothing. So if you do build the rig, I would go with 16gb for now.

Solution