[SOLVED] Will my pc be able to handle a Nvidia 3060

Nov 20, 2021
I was thinking of upgrading my pc.
I currently have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 and was thinking of upgraing to a Nvidia RTX 3060.
Will my pc parts be able to handle it.
I have an intel i7-2600 with 4 cores and my motherboard is an Intel Desktop Board DQ67OW.
Thanks.

Solution
"Will X bottleneck Y?"

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: mileage will vary depending on resolution, details, game being played and individual scenes within each game. Some games are far more CPU-intensive than others, some scale faster than others on the GPU side as details get increased. You can bottleneck a 3090 on a potato if you wanted to, just need to push resolution to 8k with 16X FSAA.

If you can get the RTX3060 for a reasonable price, you can always carry it over to your next system whenever that day comes and re-assess your balance between frame rates and details at that time.

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I don't know which games you plan on playing, but for modern gaming then no that cpu is too weak. It can handle it sure, but you will et a bottleneck and not get what you should out of the card.

InvalidError

Titan
"Will X bottleneck Y?"

Long answer: mileage will vary depending on resolution, details, game being played and individual scenes within each game. Some games are far more CPU-intensive than others, some scale faster than others on the GPU side as details get increased. You can bottleneck a 3090 on a potato if you wanted to, just need to push resolution to 8k with 16X FSAA.

If you can get the RTX3060 for a reasonable price, you can always carry it over to your next system whenever that day comes and re-assess your balance between frame rates and details at that time.

Reactions: Lacsative
Solution
Nov 20, 2021
I don't know which games you plan on playing, but for modern gaming then no that cpu is too weak. It can handle it sure, but you will et a bottleneck and not get what you should out of the card.
Do you recommend any other cards that will work with my system?

Nov 20, 2021
"Will X bottleneck Y?"

What cards will imporve preformance and not get bottlenecked?
cheers

cheers
All systems bottleneck. It’s going to depend hugely on the game and resolution you choose. However there are newer cpu heavy games that are just not going to run well on the old i7 regardless of what gpu or resolution you choose. Other games will run anywhere between ok to great. You can’t expect a 10 year old cpu to run the latest most demanding games well so a lot comes down to your expectations.

InvalidError

Titan
cheers
There is no single answer, it will depend on the games, resolution, details, etc.

At 4k and Ultra details in games that are heavily skewed towards high GPU usage, you may be able to make use of an RTX4090 when that becomes available.

If you aren't looking to spend $3000+ on a GPU and just want to know what should generally make the most sense for a more reasonable budget and don't mind possibly needing tweaking details down in some cases, then an RTX3060 would be pretty good step up.