Will my power supply run a GTX770 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
your CPU is 95 watts on rail 12 V and the GTX 770 is 230 watts .. total 325Watt , if you overclock will need 100 watt more , you are ok with head room . your power has 430watts on rail 12 , the rest is enough for the harddisk and the DVD and the fans and the Chipset dont worry .. you are OK !

I will admit no such thing, the OP needs to upgrade his PSU, every knowledgeable
and trusted resource, realhardtechx, msi, Toms Hardware, etc,
says the same thing, you don't run that sys with 35 - +12v amps, especially a tier 4
PSU that isn't likely to deliver it.

The arguments aren't empty, they are all from sources that do the research
and study this for a living.

SNA3

Honorable

I talk from Experience more than 20 years in the market .. you talk from reading reviews ...

Have a nice day ..

you did not even bother to measure the chipset watt, not anything , you just read 12V rail and recommended and thats it ...

anyways I said to the OP that his power is enough and I stand by what I said.

For the GeForce GTX 770 NVIDIA just used the same minimum recommended PSU specs as for the GeForce GTX 780 even though the GeForce GTX 770 draws less power (~ 50 Watts less during GPU stress testing and ~ 42 Watts less during gaming based on reference design and clocked cards).

Even NVIDIA's minimum recommended PSU specs as for the GeForce GTX 780 are overestimated based on looking at the actual measured power consumption of five different brands and models of GeForce GTX 780 cards (i.e. measured on the +3.3V & +12V power lines of the graphics card's PCI-E slot & the PCI-E Supplementary power connectors).

The minimum system power requirement is based on a reference system configured with an Intel 3.2GHz 130 Watt TDP processor.

Since the OP has a K suffixed CPU I can only assume that there is going to be some CPU overclocking happening.

The Gigabyte GTX 780 WindForce OC 3 GB GDDR5 can draw 283 Watts during GPU stress testing. That would be around 23 Amps from the +12V rail(s) for the graphics card only. During gaming it should be around 19 Amps.

If I were spec'ing a PSU for the OP's system I would be recommending a PSU that could at a minimum produce 38 Amps or more on its combined +12V rail(s) to at least be able to handle GPU stress testing. I'm not naive enough, like some graphics card review sites, to assume that users won't ever run a GPU stress testing app. I know I wouldn't want my system to reboot or shut down because of the lack of sufficient +12V rail capacity.

If I were spec'ing it for gaming only (i.e. never running a GPU stress testing app or using it for GPGPU purposes) then 32 Amps or greater on the +12V rail(s) would be the minimum.

In general most PSU models that use Andyson as its OEM should be avoided.

Raidmax and Ultra are two companies that come to mind because the majority of their PSU models are made by Andyson and those companies do not have a stellar reputation for their PSUs.

Cpt Underpants

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013

Like I said earlier in this post, the majority of the time it is more important the quality of manufacturer and the parts they use than necessarily the wattage alone.

Yeah pretty sure we all said the same thing in 18 different ways.

OP: General consensus is, replace it, aerocool is junk~