Will my psu be enough?

Computerkid16

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I just bought a new computer and it came with a 400w psu. Will it be enough to run it, if I don't overclock anything?
Fx-8120 3.10ghz
Hd radeon 7850 2gb
8 GB ram
500gb hdd

Yeah thats not a bad idea, he could totally do that instead.

D

Deleted member 217926

Those are crazy high end power supplies for a low power system with an HD 7850. Coolmax is absolute crap so avoid it but there is certainly no need for an 80 Plus gold rated PSU for such a low end system. And a system with an HD 7850 only needs a recommended 450 watts.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Here is a very good model and about the best deal I see at Walmart with their limited selection. Antec power supplies are very good and they are a brand I recommend.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Antec-EA-500-Green-500W-Power-Supply/20927097

Did your computer come with an HD 7850 and a 400w power supply prebuilt? 400 watts is really sufficient assuming it's a quality unit. What are the make and model of the computer and power supply?

D

Deleted member 217926

Read my post above. Did the computer come prebuilt with an HD 7850 and a 400w power supply? If so what is the make and model? If it's a decent 400w unit it may be fine for what you have.

D

Deleted member 217926

ATX is just a standard it's not a brand. If you bought a prebuilt computer from iBuyPower that came with an HD7850 and a 400w power supply there is no need to upgrade. They will not sell underpowered computers since that would cost them money to repair them when they die. The power supply it came with may not be of great quality but they obviously thought it supplied sufficient power.

If you just want to upgrade to something decent I would totally agree with that. But you are fine using your computer with what it came with. If you do want to upgrade the Antec I listed above is a big step up in quality from anything that came stock with an iBuyPower build.

Computerkid16

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Well apparently the psu that came with it was not enough. My pc just shut down and it won't start up. I didn't change anything or move anything. I was going to buy a better psu anyways. Thanks for your time guys.
P.S what are like the top brands of psu out there? I'm assuming that the Antec is up there, but are there any more?

D

Deleted member 217926

Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec. You almost can't find a bad unit from any of those brands.

If your new computer died use the warranty before you just start replacing things. Much cheaper that way!

Computerkid16

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Quick question before I stop bothering you guys.
I'm looking at a case that says it has a power efficient power supply/AC 120v/230v
Just wondering how many watts that would be.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 217926

Most power supplies that come with cases are junk. Antec is the exception to that. For example CoolerMaster and Thermaltake both sell great cases and cooling equipment but you don't want a power supply from either one. AC 120v/240v is the wall voltage where it plugs in and has nothing to do with the PSU wattage. 120v is used in North America and 240v is used in Europe and Australia.

You should be fine with using that 400w as a temp. so long as you don't max load your PC. If it's what come with it then that's quite odd. I don't think you can get a replacement part direct from ibuypower, you might have to go through the manufacturer. It's easier just to buy a new one than go through the hassle to get sent an even cheaper replacement that will fail anyways. Anything from a 480w to a 580w should be good for you.