Will my PSU handle xfire 7850's

Solution
For a system using a single reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current...
Direct from amd..
"600W power supply (or greater) with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology. "

So, you need at a minimum a 600W power supply with 2 peripheral power connectors.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I will also add the rest of my system if that helps anyone:

2500k@4.2ghz (stock voltage)
500gb seagate HDD
DvD burner
4x fans on low setting (i own the antec 300 illusion)

I did find a 7850 crossfire review and total system draw in wattage was only 450 with a higher wattage CPU (they were using a 3930k) but they did not list amperage.

I know i can handle xfire 6850's and this is what i think i will do if the 7850's are pushing it too far.

For a system using a single reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 39 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors for each graphics card so the power supply should have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Antec High Current Gamer Series 520W (HCG-520), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card. It is also just sufficient to power your system configuration with two reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode. I wouldn't recommend using it with two non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 because they consume more power and they would require a total of four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors and that PSU only has two.

Solution

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

Wow where did you find that amp info! : )

I definitely would be buying the single PCI-E connector versions, but does anyone know of a tool like kill-a watt meter that measures amp draw as well (not sure if this tool does this). If i can swing dual 7850's i think im gonna do it.