Question will NVMe with heatsink fit in M.2 slot next to GPU?

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Question 1: I plan on getting the ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WiFi motherboard...does anyone know if the Crucial T705 PCIe 5.0 NVMe with heatsink will fit in the top M.2 slot next to the GPU?...the heatsink is kind of big and bulky...why do most mobo manufacturers put them so close together?

I attached some pics of the motherboard and the Crucial T705 NVMe

Question 2: I want to wait for the new Zen 5 CPU's to be released...should I stick with the TUF Gaming board from Asus or wait for the new updated models?...if I stick with the TUF will it boot simply by putting in the CPU or do I need to use the BIOS Flashback feature and flash it to the new BIOS before installing the CPU?

j5ROKxMl.png

bCRYqKrl.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
1| The drive will fit, just reduces the amount of space around the CPU's socket.

2| You're advised to flash the BIOS to the latest version to avoid the disaster that was with Ryzen 7000 series processors. If you want to buy now, flash the BIOS and you should be good to go. If I were you and you can be patient, wait until the 8000 processors come out.

Reactions: Kalik212

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
1| The drive will fit, just reduces the amount of space around the CPU's socket.

2| You're advised to flash the BIOS to the latest version to avoid the disaster that was with Ryzen 7000 series processors. If you want to buy now, flash the BIOS and you should be good to go. If I were you and you can be patient, wait until the 8000 processors come out.

so it won't interfere with the GPU (I have the Asus TUF Gaming 4080 Super)?

2) I plan on waiting for the 8000 series CPU's...I was unsure on whether to buy an existing motherboard or wait for one of the new motherboards that'll launch with Zen 5...the Zen 5 motherboards should boot up fine without any BIOS update right?

so it won't interfere with the GPU (I have the Asus TUF Gaming 4080 Super)?

2) I plan on waiting for the 8000 series CPU's...I was unsure on whether to buy an existing motherboard or wait for one of the new motherboards that'll launch with Zen 5...the Zen 5 motherboards should boot up fine without any BIOS update right?
Distance to first PCIe x16 is standard, no GPU is allowed to cover M.2 so any M.2 cooler should fit. It just may be to awkward to install disk without taking GPU out.

Looks like a good motherboard.
The top M.2 cover is a heat sink.
I would buy a m.2 without a heat sink.
m.2 coolers are not much practical help. They kick in when doing long sequential operations, Perhaps like a virus scan.
Normally most work is small random i/o that does not generate heat.
Plan on sending some cooling air over the motherboard.
Partially for the m.2, but also for the VRM heat sinks.

As to clearance, the gap is (almost) standard.
But, there are exceptions.
Noctua maintains a list for motherboard compatibility.
Here is the list for the NH-D15 cooler which is very wide.
Your motherboard is fine, but noted on the list are some other motherboards that are not:
https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-D1...rboards/all?q=ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WiFi
The NH-D15s is offset to avoid such issues.

As to Zen 5 processors, it is all rumors.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
If you have a need that can be satisfied now, buy now.

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Looks like a good motherboard.
The top M.2 cover is a heat sink.
I would buy a m.2 without a heat sink.
m.2 coolers are not much practical help. They kick in when doing long sequential operations, Perhaps like a virus scan.
Normally most work is small random i/o that does not generate heat.
Plan on sending some cooling air over the motherboard.
Partially for the m.2, but also for the VRM heat sinks.

As to clearance, the gap is (almost) standard.
But, there are exceptions.
Noctua maintains a list for motherboard compatibility.
Here is the list for the NH-D15 cooler which is very wide.
Your motherboard is fine, but noted on the list are some other motherboards that are not:
https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-D15-chromax.black-3/motherboards/all?q=ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WiFi
The NH-D15s is offset to avoid such issues.

As to Zen 5 processors, it is all rumors.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
If you have a need that can be satisfied now, buy now.

the PCIe 5.0 drives can get really hot, which is why I prefer buying one with the manufacturer supplied passive heatsink...if I was going with a PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 drive I would be fine with the stock motherboard heatsink cover

I also forgot about clearance for my giant NH-D15 CPU cooler...I'm guessing it'll fit with the Noctua NH-D15 because I can always lift up the CPU cooler fans a bit...I do that now to get extra clearance for my RAM sticks...the only thing is I need to make sure my case is big enough and I always go for larger tower cases

why on Earth don't mobo manufacturers design their boards with more clearance for the RAM and large NVMe drives?...why does the main NVMe 5.0 slot need to be right next to the GPU?...why can't they move it down to where the 2nd or 3rd NVMe slots are?

Why on Earth don't mobo manufacturers design their boards with more clearance for the RAM and large NVMe drives?...why does the main NVMe 5.0 slot need to be right next to the GPU?...why can't they move it down to where the 2nd or 3rd NVMe slots are?
MB sizes are set to ATX standards so they would fit and mount in standard cases so mounting holes and back panel can be in standard places.
Main/default M.2 is connected directly to CPU PCIe lanes for fast NVMe SSDs so need to be close to CPU and first PCIe x16 slot as they all share them. MBs are made in 6, 8 or more layers so there's very small wiggle room for connection traces. M.2, NVMe drives are relatively very new and had to be placed without changing ATX standards but MB manufacturers like to cram as much options as possible.

the PCIe 5.0 drives can get really hot, which is why I prefer buying one with the manufacturer supplied passive heatsink...if I was going with a PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 drive I would be fine with the stock motherboard heatsink cover
No manufacturer is providing a heatsink with a drive that's better than the one on the motherboard you're looking at unless it is giant/has a fan.

Last edited: