[SOLVED] Will overclocking 3000MHZ to 3200MHz solve my FPS issue in games?

Aug 19, 2021
I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GTX 1060 to a GTX 1080 TI renewed off of amazon. I love this build, but in some games, I feel like I'm not getting as much performance as I should be getting (like RUST and BF1, and many more games) and I recently found out about the whole XMP and making the speed to the actual MHz, but now I'm interested in overclocking everything lmao. Already overclocked my 1080TI and I found that there's no point in overclocking my CPU so I'm now onto my RAM.

1. I feel like my pc is lacking maybe because of a CPU bottleneck?
  2. Should I overclock my ram and HOW?
  3. I've seen many people with the same setup get around 20-30 fps MORE in games while I get 20-30 fps LESS
IDK if my usage is safe as well because it's all over the place with some games.
Rust - CPU usage is around 25 - 30 percent and GPU usage is around 30 - 45 percent.
While some other games like Cold War my GPU goes to 100% and CPU at 30-40 percent.

My PC build.

GTX 1080TI
Ryzen 7 2700x
x470 MSI Motherboard
16gb 3000MHz corsair vengence
600watt PSU

Here are my USERBENCHMARK stats as well.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45584204

Thanks in advance, I'm kinda a noob still in the PC world and trying to gain some more knowledge. I mainly play rust and I get 50 - 70 fps even changing my settings up or down. I see others with the same setup getting more FPS than me. Maybe Rust is poorly optimized for Ryzen idk.

Solution
Your CPU is the main thing that does calculation so better cpu clock = better calulation. It's not always about cores and thread.

Overclocking your ram could solve your problem but not by much, because you need to tweak the timing after you overclock the ram to get more better FCLK speed. Zen+ should be OK at 2 sticks running at 3200mhz.

Update your motherboard bios and see if you could gain stability on overclock.

Ryzen loves faster ram speed and lower ram timings,because how the way they communicate the cores between CCXs and CCDs using FCLK. Faster Ram and Faster FCLK (must be 1:1 for best performance) will improve intercore latency. most Ryzen 2000 series are good enough to run 3200mhz CL16-18-18-18-36. But it wont go more than...
Your CPU is the main thing that does calculation so better cpu clock = better calulation. It's not always about cores and thread.

Overclocking your ram could solve your problem but not by much, because you need to tweak the timing after you overclock the ram to get more better FCLK speed. Zen+ should be OK at 2 sticks running at 3200mhz.

Update your motherboard bios and see if you could gain stability on overclock.

Ryzen loves faster ram speed and lower ram timings,because how the way they communicate the cores between CCXs and CCDs using FCLK. Faster Ram and Faster FCLK (must be 1:1 for best performance) will improve intercore latency. most Ryzen 2000 series are good enough to run 3200mhz CL16-18-18-18-36. But it wont go more than 3433mhz at most. If you want to run 3600MHz sticks at 1:1 with fclk, go with a ryzen 3000 series or 5000 series. Better CPU IPC compared to your current cpu right now

Reactions: boju and CountMike
Solution
What impacts the 2700x the most is memory latency. The ideal spot for the 2700x is 3200mhz @ cas14 memory. This is why FlareX memory was such a hit when the 2700x first launched. Paired with an SSD game drive and a decent GPU the 2700x is a capable gaming CPU @ 1080p resolutions and makes for a respectable desktop system for photo and video editing.

Once you start pushing above 1080p resolutions and/or running newer generations of GPUs the 2700x starts falling well behind newer Ryzen CPUs like the 5600x. At 1440p and above the 5600x is significantly faster with current gen GPUs due to both IPC improvements and the much larger CPU memory cache.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw

Endre

Reputable
I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GTX 1060 to a GTX 1080 TI renewed off of amazon. I love this build, but in some games, I feel like I'm not getting as much performance as I should be getting (like RUST and BF1, and many more games) and I recently found out about the whole XMP and making the speed to the actual MHz, but now I'm interested in overclocking everything lmao. Already overclocked my 1080TI and I found that there's no point in overclocking my CPU so I'm now onto my RAM.

3. I've seen many people with the same setup get around 20-30 fps MORE in games while I get 20-30 fps LESS
IDK if my usage is safe as well because it's all over the place with some games.
Rust - CPU usage is around 25 - 30 percent and GPU usage is around 30 - 45 percent.
While some other games like Cold War my GPU goes to 100% and CPU at 30-40 percent.

My PC build.

GTX 1080TI
Ryzen 7 2700x
x470 MSI Motherboard
600watt PSU

Thanks in advance, I'm kinda a noob still in the PC world and trying to gain some more knowledge. I mainly play rust and I get 50 - 70 fps even changing my settings up or down. I see others with the same setup getting more FPS than me. Maybe Rust is poorly optimized for Ryzen idk.

The best “overclock” is a CPU upgrade and doubling the size of memory (32GB RAM).
More RAM will make your experience “butter smooth” (even if it’s not faster).

Just get ryzen 5000 series cpu, its supported by the motherboard after bios update : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu

Change from any 3000 series cpu to 5000 is insane for gaming you basically go from competing with 10 year old intel stuff to beating 10th gen. You can think about overclocking the ram or buying ram with better timings later, probably no need for that.

Just a comparison with my intel 1st gen (15 year old architechture) and 12 year old cpu x3470, it literally matches your overclocked 2700x. This is 24/7 overclock : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38823175

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018

My PC build.

GTX 1080TI
Ryzen 7 2700x
x470 MSI Motherboard
600watt PSU

For Intel, No. For AMD, yes but 3000 Hz to 3200 Hz is slight improvement.