Will raid 0 double my performance?

ragingazn628

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It will almost double read/write if set up properly and it is not worth it for gaming. Well, unless you have a skulltrail motherboard - nothing should prevent you from wasting more money for more marginal gains then.

Mendoza

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/17/parallel_processing/index.html

article tom did a late last year. Basically Raid will not make huge improvements for games. I've run Single HD setup and various raid setups. In most games there is almost no visable boost in performance. Now if you are doing server stuff or work with giant multimedia files for example raids may help you but in all honesty if you are a gamer you a better off saving your cash and just getting a good HD with descent access times and 32 meg SATAII interface. Going from Sata 8 Megs to 16 meg to 32 meg cache hard drives I did notice better load times in games...but not so much from running raids.

There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

mertsag

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Hi,
I had a raid0 of raptors.
In games, it's absolutely unuseful. A good recent 7200rpm sata drive (like seagate 7200.11 or samsung f1) will do the same.
I had a little improvement in games by using scsi drives (with a good controller), but it clearly doesn't worth the price.
The only way to greatly improve storage performance is using a ssd like mtron... if you can afford it...

Posted this on a another thread a while back

The point being raid0 will help somethings(and is not a waste of money if you can take advantage of it), with hard drives as cheap as they are its not a bad option, just dont expect it to increase FPS(if you want that better get another video card and SLI/Corssfire, but even thats not always gonna work with some games)....it it does not cut load times in half...but if you do any large file work its worth it....a slight load time increase in games is just a side effect.....

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Like everyone else says its only good in certain applications. I have 2 raid0 arrays and i spend a lot of time moving and extracting large files (7-50gb) and I can see huge gains when moving and extracting between the 2 arrays. Outside of that function I dont really notice any difference.. Any time I copy from my main drive to the raid arrays its still limited by the1 drive Im copying from.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Basically RAID 0 doubles your write speed on HUGE file transfers. Like database applications, mailbox servers, file servers, backup storage that pushes to tape... etc.

For random I/O, which is what most games will be, there is absolutely no performance gain. Consequently reads are not faster, but reads are faster off of a RAID 1 setup.

No.

Never do RAID 0 unless you want to lose all your data at any time without notice.

Go RAID 5 if you feel there are a lot of read/writes (databases).

Games do not benefit from fast read writes since it stores the information into RAM. If you are getting a lot of read/writes then you should buy more RAM.

you should do RAID 5 then not RAID 0.

Putting your drives in RAID 0 is similar to putting a bomb on your harddrive without knowing when it'll go off.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
xxsk8er101xx, That's just a little bit exaggerated don't you think? RAID 0 only reduces the reliability of your disk because you essentially have a single point of failure that can happen in 2 places. This obviously is the worst RAID config since if your going to spend the money to RAID, you may as well make your disks redundant. But to say that it's a bomb waiting to go off (data loss wise) is just a bit on the left wing side of things.

So is a single drive(it goes so does your data anyway)..Should everyone ALWAYS run raid5?
Thats what back-up is for...

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Well the theory is that a RAID 0 statistically cuts the life of your "drive" in half because you now have 2 disks with the chance to fail and you will lose all data on both disks.

4745454b

Titan
To the OP, what does your gaming machine look like? As mentioned, AID0 will only reduce load times for your games or levels. It will NOT increase your FPS at all. If your system is already has high end as it gets, perhaps now is the time for you to install an AID0 array on your computer. If however you can install a faster CPU/GPU, or more memory, or a lager monitor, etc, then you should do that.

you essentially have a single point of failure that can happen in 2 places.

Not true. You have 3 possible failure points. One for each drive, plus the driver. If your RAID driver gets corrupted, then you need to format and start over.

well i still have 2 120 gig drives from back when the athlon64 came(2004) out and they have spent a lifetime in (R)aid0(I like how 4745454b takes out the R since there is no redundancy on 0) without problems.

As said. its only good when you need LOTS of bandwidth. all my files are on single drives and have regular backups. The raid setup holds windows and games and any video files i am working on....