[SOLVED] Will there be any problems running 24gb ram with 2 dual channel and 1 single channel?

vlad0934

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Just bought 16gb of ram, i have 8gb ram already in my system

will there be a problem running the 2 new sticks in dual channel and the other 1 in single channel for 24gb ram total?

Solution
If you set the sticks in the right DIMM slots, then the 16Gb will run in dual channel. Anything that's used over that amount will then bump into the 8Gb in single channel and you'll take a small performance hit. Chances of that happening with gaming is extremely slim, I can't think of any game that ram intensive.
But as velocityg4 stated, that's if they play nice. Mixing kits is always a crap shoot. Most times they work, sometimes they need adjusting, sometimes they don't play together at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you set the sticks in the right DIMM slots, then the 16Gb will run in dual channel. Anything that's used over that amount will then bump into the 8Gb in single channel and you'll take a small performance hit. Chances of that happening with gaming is extremely slim, I can't think of any game that ram intensive.
But as velocityg4 stated, that's if they play nice. Mixing kits is always a crap shoot. Most times they work, sometimes they need adjusting, sometimes they don't play together at all.

Solution

vlad0934

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019

should of probably mentioned its not a mix of kits, all the ram sticks are pretty much same accept the 16gb kit is 3000 and the 8gb is 2400, everything else is identical

and just trying to play rust and improve multitasking

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A kit is a single blister pack containing 1/2/4/8 sticks that have been factory tested. If you buy 2x blister packs, that's 2 different kits, doesn't matter if they are exactly the same brand, speed, timings, model, size, they are different and not tested by the factory as working sets.

With the 16Gb at 3000 and the 8Gb at 2400, if you put all 3 sticks in, if they play nice then all 3 will run at the slowest speed and timings.

At this point, you'll get better performance by not including the 8Gb.

vlad0934

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
A kit is a single blister pack containing 1/2/4/8 sticks that have been factory tested. If you buy 2x blister packs, that's 2 different kits, doesn't matter if they are exactly the same brand, speed, timings, model, size, they are different and not tested by the factory as working sets.

With the 16Gb at 3000 and the 8Gb at 2400, if you put all 3 sticks in, if they play nice then all 3 will run at the slowest speed and timings.

At this point, you'll get better performance by not including the 8Gb.

It’s running fine, I don’t think there is a big difference between 3000 and 2400 so I have all of them in with 2 running and dual channel and the third one running in single, the only think different besides the speed is the voltage the new ones run at 1.35 while the old one is at 1.2

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd run memtest64 overnight just to make sure the ram is compatible fully. It might work great in certain things, but if it's not fully compatible then sooner or later it will glitch and you'll bsod. And it'll be right when you are an hour into a campaign with 7 other ppl and without you they can't win.